Consuming Methanol In Moonshine – Upon first sip, the dangerous potential of methanol is undetectable. It will simply get people drunker. However, after it is metabolized, the methanol can have an extremely harmful effect in someone’s body.10 milliliters (ml) of methanol is all it takes to permanently damage the optic nerve and cause partial, if not complete, blindness.30 ml of methanol is lethal.
- For reference, and standard shot glass in the United States holds 40 ml.
- If less than 10 ml of methanol is consumed then the worst someone will experience is a hangover, (albeit, quite possibly the worst hangover of their life).
- However, if someone consumes 10 ml or more of methanol, even split up among drinks, that can be enough to cause permanent damage or kill them.
While there are processes today to discard the toxic alcohol that is visually indistinguishable from water, some illegal Moonshiners will add methanol back in to provide a stronger potency. Obviously, without regulation, there is no way to know if illicit alcohol contains methanol.
Is moonshine worse than vodka?
Vodka & Moonshine Compared – While vodka is legal in most countries, moonshine is a term that describes distilled spirits with extremely high proof that aren’t legally accepted in most states. Based on their alcohol content, moonshine is stronger than vodka because it has higher alcohol-proof. Moonshine’s alcohol level can be as high as 190 proof. On the contrary, vodka only has an average of 80 proof.
Is it bad to drink moonshine everyday?
What are the Side Effects of Drinking Moonshine? – Drinking moonshine, like any alcohol, can take a toll on your health. Moonshine can be poisonous, which can make you sick, leave you blind, or both, Other health issues can also occur from alcohol use: 3
- Increased risk of certain cancers
- Increased risk of fatty liver disease
- Increased risk of heart disease
- Can damage your brain and other organs
- Increased risk of death from physical injuries and car crashes
Excessive alcohol use causes about 95,000 deaths each year.7
What is the most unhealthy alcohol to drink?
Top 10 Strongest Alcohol in the World – While the dangers of alcohol abuse are well-known, statistics show that alcohol consumption continues to rise. As reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 10,000 people die every year due to drunk driving accidents in the U.S.
As we mentioned, no alcoholic beverage is considered to be safe, but drinks like beer, hard ciders, and wine tend to be lower in alcohol content, and intoxication is therefore considered to be easier to avoid. In contrast, there are plenty of strong alcoholic beverages that contain high levels of alcohol and can cause severe impairment in small amounts.
The world’s most dangerous alcoholic drinks include Absinthe, Bacardi 151, Changaa, Everclear, Death in the Afternoon, Four Lokos, Jungle Juice, Knockeen Hills, Moonshine, and Spirytus Rektyfikowany. Absinthe Commonly referred to as the “green fairy,” absinthe was banned in the U.S.
from 1915 to 2007. Absinthe got its nickname from the hallucinations and other perception-impairing side effects it produces. Trace amounts of the chemical thujone were thought to be responsible for absinthe hallucinations, during which users reported seeing a small green fairy, hence the nickname. However, with further research, the appearance of the green fairy was discovered to be exaggerated, although the disruption in users’ perception was very real.
Absinthe is typically produced as a 90 to 146-proof liquor, while 12 ounces of beer contains about 10 proof or 5 percent of alcohol, and 5 ounces of wine contains 24 proof or 12 percent of alcohol. As you can see, absinthe contains significantly higher concentrations of alcohol than the average drink.
- Bacardi 151 Bacardi 151 was a highly alcoholic rum that was discontinued in 2016.
- It was named after its alcohol content – a level of 151 proof, or 75.5 percent of alcohol by volume.
- Typical rum usually contains around 35% to 40% of alcohol by volume, which, although high, is significantly lower than Bacardi 151’s alcohol percentage.
Not only did this high concentration make this drink stronger, but it also made it more flammable. As a result, Bacardi 151 was often used in drinking involving fire, such as “flaming shots.” The drink’s flammability was so high that Bacardi 151 bottles came with warning labels advising against using the drink for any fire-related drinks.
- Despite the warning label, Bacardi 151 was banned for its high alcohol content and flammability.
- Changaa Changaa, or Chang’aa, is an alcoholic drink that comes from Kenya and translates to “kill me quick.” This is a popular and traditional home-brewed spirit in Kenya.
- This drink is extremely potent and made by fermenting and distilling the grains millet, maize, and sorghum.
Changaa was illegal for many years in Kenya until the ban was lifted in 2010. The alcohol content of Changaa ranges from 28.3% to 56.7% of alcohol per volume. Also known as the “poison brew,” Changaa is known for producing adverse side effects like blindness, intoxication, and more.
It’s also been linked to numerous deaths in Kenya. This is due in part to the fact that Changaa is sometimes mixed with other toxic substances like jet fuel and battery acid. The water used to make Changaa is also often full of bacteria, dirt, and other harmful toxins, even in breweries. Everclear Everclean is a grain alcohol that’s usually sold in 190 proof, double the alcohol content of most liquors, which usually sit at 80 proof or contain 40% of alcohol.
Due to the adverse effects linked to Everclear’s high alcohol content, some U.S. states have prohibited the sale of 190-proof liquor, including California, Florida, Washington, North Carolina, Maine, New York, Nevada, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, New Hampshire, and Minnesota.
- In response, Luxco, the manufacturer of Everclear, began to distribute 189 proof Everclear to bypass these laws.
- Additionally, because this drink is undiluted and contains 92.4% pure ethanol (alcohol), it’s also used as a household cleaner and disinfectant.
- To give you an even better idea of why Everclear made it to the list of hardest alcohols, a cocktail containing one or two shots of the drink would be enough for a person to reach extreme intoxication.
Death in the Afternoon The name speaks for itself. Also called “The Hemingway,” Death in the Afternoon was created by well-known writer Ernest Hemingway. While the book of the same name is celebrated for its description of bullfighting, the drink is a whole other subject.
- The drink, Death in the Afternoon, is a dangerous cocktail created by Hemingway that’s made of absinthe and champagne.
- This drink first appeared in So Red the Nose or – Breath in the Afternoon, a 1935 book of cocktail recipes from 30 famous authors.
- Considering that absinthe was especially popular in Europe, it’s understandable why it’s believed that Hemingway invented the drink after he tried absinthe in Paris.
It’s also important to know that Hemingway was a prolific drinker and, considering his written advice about drinking four to five Death in The Afternoon’s slowly in one day, we can safely say that this is a not-so-safe drinking habit. Four Lokos A Four Loko is a malt beverage and the most accessible among these strong alcoholic drinks.
- Usually found at gas stations or convenience stores, Four Lokos were temporarily banned in several U.S.
- States when it was first released due to the combination of alcohol and caffeine it contained.
- At the time, many argued that marketing for this drink was deceitful in its appearance and made younger populations believe it was an energy drink.
In response, the company removed caffeine from Four Loko’s ingredients in 2010. One Four Loko contains the equivalent of six standard servings of alcohol. The University Health Services Director at Harvard University urged the public to be especially cautious about this particular drink.
- Jungle Juice Jungle Juice is more of an idea rather than a legitimate recipe.
- A common jungle juice recipe is to mix various liquors with fruit juice like Hawaiian Punch.
- Jungle Juice is generally a beverage that’s high in sugar as well as alcohol, which can have various harmful side effects.
- In addition to alcohol’s adverse effects, consuming high amounts of sugar can also cause problems like high blood pressure, inflammation, weight gain, fatty liver disease, diabetes, and more.
The intense sweetness of Jungle Juice can also mask the high level of alcohol in the drink, which can enable consumers to drink more alcohol than is safe, which could result in alcohol poisoning, Knockeen Hills Knockeen Hills is next on our list of most dangerous alcohol drinks.
This one is an Irish spirit that’s called poitín, which contains 40 to 90% ABV. Former common names for poitín were Irish Moonshine and Mountain Dew. Eventually, Knockeen Hills, a family-owned business, created a similar spirit in 1996. Interestingly, like moonshine in the U.S., poitín was made illegally for years.
The drink was even banned as early as the 1660s due to its high concentration level. Moonshine Speaking of moonshine, it’s one of the most well-known and dangerous alcoholic drinks on our list. The name of this drink is derived from the time of day it’s commonly produced to avoid legal detection: nighttime.
Although states have lifted moonshine bans throughout the years, it’s still illegal to brew this liquor within a personal residence. Although strictly controlled and containing less alcohol than Prohibition-era moonshine (63 proof to 190 alcohol proof), moonshine today contains 60 to 120 proof, which is still a lot of alcohol.
Additionally, while it’s strictly controlled in the U.S., commercial moonshine still has a high alcohol concentration, and illicitly manufactured moonshine is still prevalent and remains very dangerous as the alcohol content, as well as production, are not strictly monitored.
Do you sip or shoot moonshine?
Download Article Download Article Moonshine is a tasty whiskey drink that was first brewed during the prohibition era in the United States. Now, you can buy moonshine at most liquor stores in a variety of different flavors, and some people still make their own at home.
- 1 Combine moonshine and cola for a classic drink. Since moonshine is a form of whiskey, you can easily make one of the most popular and tasty alcoholic beverages. Add your preferred amount of ice to a tall glass. Then, pour 2 shots of moonshine and 12 oz (335 mL) of cola over the ice for a cool drink.
- Some moonshines have a cola taste to them due to the flavor of distilled corn, so this can make for an even sweeter drink.
- 2 Mix a can of light beer with a shot of moonshine for a boozy cocktail. Add 1 shot of moonshine into the bottom of a glass. Then, choose a lager or a light ale, and pour 12 oz (350 ML) of the beer into the glass. You can add ice for a cooler drink, or enjoy it without ice. Tip: Combine a lemon- or blueberry-flavored moonshine with any light beer for an extra refreshing, fizzy drink in the summer. Advertisement
- 3 Add ginger ale to moonshine to take some of the bitterness out of the alcohol. Put a shot of any flavor of moonshine into a highball glass with ice. Then, pour 12 oz (335 mL) of ginger ale into the glass over the ice. Taste the drink to see if it’s acceptable, and add more ginger ale until you reach a suitable taste.
- You should always use non-alcoholic ginger ale, rather than a ginger beer, if you want to make a weaker drink. The alcohol in ginger beer can actually make the moonshine taste stronger.
- 4 Make Tennessee-style iced tea with moonshine, iced tea, and lemonade. Mix together equal parts iced tea and lemonade to make an Arnold Palmer. Then, combine that with 1 part moonshine in a glass filled with ice. Be sure to stir the mixture thoroughly to ensure that it’s evenly combined.
- You can also add 2-3 mint leaves and a wedge of lemon as a garnish for this refreshing beverage.
- 1 Drink water after you drink moonshine to stay hydrated. Alcohol can make your body dehydrated, especially high-proof alcohol like moonshine. Drink water in between every alcoholic beverage, even if you drink whiskey often. When you finish your moonshine drink, have a full glass of water before having another.
- You can drink flavored water, like coconut water or a flavored sports drink, if you don’t like the taste of plain water.
Did You Know? In Thailand, traditional herbal moonshine is known as “ya dong.” Shots of ya dong are served with a small glass of water, a piece of fruit, and a few pickled olives.
- 2 Chase moonshine with a drink of pickle juice to relieve the burning. The alcohol taste of straight moonshine can leave your throat burning after just a small drink. Keep a glass of pickle juice nearby to counteract the burning by taking a drink of the juice after each drink of moonshine.
- This can be especially helpful if you never drink whiskey since the saltiness of the pickle juice neutralizes the burn of the alcohol.
- You can use any kind of pickle juice or brine that you have available.
- 3 Pour smaller drinks to avoid a nasty hangover. Depending on what kind of moonshine you’re drinking, it may contain trace amounts of chemicals that can be harmful if ingested in large quantities. Even in small quantities, they can cause terrible headaches and discomfort. To prevent this, make “half shots” of moonshine, or only take small sips from your glass to pace yourself.
- Keep in mind that illegally-distilled moonshine can contain very large amounts of methanol, which can cause blindness or even death if ingested.
Add New Question
- Question Can you drink moonshine straight? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer
- Question Do you drink moonshine warm or cold? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer Support wikiHow by unlocking this staff-researched answer. Either way—it depends on your preference and the type of drink. For example, you might drink straight moonshine at room temperature. Or, warm up some apple pie moonshine for a toasty, comforting drink on a cold fall or winter night. You can also drink it as a chilled cocktail with ginger ale or iced tea.
- Question Do you have to refrigerate moonshine? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer
Ask a Question 200 characters left Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Submit Advertisement
It’s easy to get drunk on moonshine quickly, since it’s so strong. Try to limit yourself to 1 drink per hour if you’re drinking moonshine.
Thanks for submitting a tip for review! Advertisement
Never drink moonshine from an uncertified distiller, since you can’t be sure what is in the alcohol.
Advertisement Article Summary X Moonshine is a whiskey drink that you can either drink straight with a chaser or make a mixed drink out of. If you want to drink it straight with a chaser, drink pickle juice after your shot of moonshine to relieve the burning sensation.
Will one shot of moonshine get you drunk?
A shot glass a day and there’s no real effect at all. You’ll feel mildly drunk until you get used to it and then it’ll just be a warm feeling as it goes down. As long as you stick to the one shot glass a day, and don’t let it creep up into pints, you’re fine.
Is moonshine a strong alcohol?
How is Moonshine Made? – Moonshine is an alcoholic drink that is typically made from corn, sugar, and water. The corn is mashed, and then the sugar and water are added. This mixture is then boiled. The alcohol content of moonshine can be as high as 95%, which is significantly higher than the alcohol content of most other types of liquor.
The first step in making moonshine is to cook the corn.
This can be done in a variety of ways, but the most common method is to use a still. A still is a device that is used to distill liquids. It consists of a pot that is heated on a stove and a tube that leads from the pot to a container that collects the distilled liquid.
The second step is to add sugar and water.
This mixture is then boiled. The boiling helps to extract the alcohol from the corn mash.
The third step is to collect the distilled liquid.
The distilled liquid is collected in a container that is known as a receiver. The receiver can be either a glass jar or a bottle.
The fourth step is to filter the moonshine.
The fourth step is to filter the moonshine. This can be filtered using a variety of methods, but the most common method is to use a filter bag. This will remove any sediment or other particles from the moonshine. You can also use a coffee filter or cheesecloth for this purpose.
The fifth step is to bottle the moonshine.
To bottle the moonshine, simply pour it into a Mason jar. You can also use other types of jars or bottles, but Mason jars are the most common. Make sure to leave some space at the top of the jar so that the moonshine can carbonate. If you want to make it look more professional, you can buy a bottle capper and caps from a store.
The sixth step is to age the moonshine.
To age the moonshine, you can store it in a barrel. This will give it a smooth, mellow flavor. You can also age it in a carboy or glass jug. If you do this, make sure to use an airtight seal to prevent the moonshine from oxidizing. Aging it will improve its flavor and color, and it will also help to remove any impurities.
The seventh step is to drink the moonshine.
The most popular way to drink it is to drink it straight, but there are other ways to consume it as well. Some people like to add it to their coffee or tea or mix it with other drinks. There are also recipes that call for moonshine to be used in place of other ingredients.