Five Things You Probably Don’t Know About Moonshine White lightning, hooch, moonshine—whatever you call it, producing this once-illegal booze legally is becoming increasingly popular. Long gone are the days when moonshine stills were hidden in garages and outhouses; now, distilleries like Crystal Ridge Distillery, the first moonshine distillery in Hot Springs, Arkansas, are making their spirits for the public using state-of-the-art equipment. Moonshine inspired NASCAR During Prohibition, moonshiners (those that made the liquor) were just as crucial as bootleggers (those that transported it). In the post-Prohibition days, as soldiers returned home after World War II, many of them armed with new mechanical skills, they often found work as bootleggers.
These modern bootleggers were able to modify cars to maximize how much moonshine they could transport while developing the driving skills necessary to steer clear of the law. On their days off, the bootleggers would pass the time by racing each other for bragging rights. This ritual became the foundation of the NASCAR Foundation.
Bonus fact: It was a bootlegger that gave NASCAR’s founder, Big Bill France, the funds he needed to jumpstart the organization. NASCAR’s first official race was held in Daytona Beach in 1948. America’s first legal moonshine distillery opened in 2005 Madison, North Carolina, is home to America’s first legal moonshine operation since Prohibition, Piedmont Distillers.
- The distillery’s menu offerings include recipes from the family of legendary bootlegger and NASCAR Hall of Famer Junior Johnson, who grew up tending to his family’s moonshine stills during the day and bootlegging the spirits at night.
- While his sharp driving skills enabled Johnson to evade the law while delivering his moonshine, he was eventually arrested while firing up the family still.
Johnson served 11 months of a two-year sentence before receiving a presidential pardon from Ronald Reagan. Johnson used the racing and mechanical knowledge he acquired while bootlegging to become one of the most successful drivers in racing history. Source: www.PiedmontDistillers.com.
- Mountain Dew was created initially as a whiskey chaser Before it was a soda, the term “Mountain Dew” was a nickname for moonshine.
- In 1932, two brothers named Barney and Ally Hartman began bottling lemon-lime soda to use as a whiskey chaser.
- They dubbed their drink “Mountain Dew” to emphasize its intended use.
What does XXX really stand for? We’ve all seen the cartoons depicting old-fashioned jugs of moonshine labeled with three X’s, but what do the letters actually mean? In the old days, “XXX” was a code stamped on moonshine jugs to indicate how many times the batch had been distilled.
One X meant that the batch was low quality, likely weak and full of solid impurities. Two X’s indicated the batch was further along in the purification process and likely to be a higher proof. A jug of moonshine donning XXX meant it was the good stuff, the closest it could get to pure alcohol. Source: www.MoonshineHeritage.com.
Moonshine wasn’t always made for drinking Moonshining in America dates back to the earliest days of the country when early settlers could be found running through the backwoods of the Appalachians. When they produced moonshine, it wasn’t just for getting drunk; it had several practical uses, too.
- Moonshine was used as currency, traded for food, seeds, livestock, medicine, tools, and other things needed for survival.
- It could also be used as a tranquilizer, solvent, and anesthetic.
- Another widespread use of moonshine was as a disinfectant, something that Crystal Ridge Distillery became well-versed in during the COVID-19 pandemic.
While living conditions in the 21st century are worlds better than they were in the 17th century, the coronavirus pandemic pushed disinfectant products to the forefront of our minds. So in March 2020, after COVID forced Crystal Ridge Distillery to shut down, its owners, Danny and Mary Bradley, made good use of their distilling equipment and began mass-producing hand sanitizer.
By the end of May 2020, Crystal Ridge Distillery had manufactured, donated, and sold 11,000 gallons of sanitizer. The distillery’s sanitizer was used community-wide by schools, first responders, nursing homes, universities, banks and other businesses.U.S. Rep. Congressman Bruce Westerman recognized Danny, Mary and Crystal Ridge Distillery for their actions on the front line in the battle against COVID-19.
: Five Things You Probably Don’t Know About Moonshine
- 0.1 How much does a moonshine jug hold?
- 0.2 What does how many X’s mean?
- 1 What is the history of jugs?
- 2 What does 😘 mean from a girl?
- 3 Why do British people use X’s?
- 4 What is a triples drink?
- 5 What is 1.75 alcohol?
What does three X mean in alcohol?
In Summary – The “xxx” on a moonshine jug means the alcohol underwent a three-time distillation process. The markings do not mean that the moonshine is poisonous. Moonshiners want to inform consumers that the moonshine with “xxx” markings are pure and strong alcohol. References:
Lydia Martin hails from Redmond, Washington, where you’ll find some of the best cocktail bars and distilleries that offer a great mix of local drinks. She used to work as a bar manager in Paris and is a self-taught mixologist whose passion for crafting unique cocktails led her to create Liquor Laboratory. Lydia can whip up a mean Margarita in seconds! Contact at or learn more about us here,
How much does a moonshine jug hold?
Jug holds approximately 750ml (about 25 fl. ounces or 0.2 gallon) of liquid and measures 7 x 4.5 x 4.5′ inches.
What is the rule of 3 alcohol?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The three-tier system of alcohol distribution is the system for distributing alcoholic beverages set up in the United States after the repeal of Prohibition, The three tiers are importers or producers; distributors; and retailers.
- The basic structure of the system is that producers can sell their products only to wholesale distributors who then sell to retailers, and only retailers may sell to consumers.
- Producers include brewers, wine makers, distillers and importers.
- The three-tier system is intended to prohibit tied houses and prevent “disorderly marketing conditions.” Some states chose to become alcoholic beverage control jurisdictions after Prohibition.
In these states, part or all of the distribution tier, and sometimes also the retailing tier, are operated by the state government itself (or by contractors operating under its authority) rather than by independent private entities. The only state with a privately operated retailing and distribution system that does not require any form of three-tier system is the State of Washington,
What does how many X’s mean?
What Does X Mean when Texting? Explanation and Examples
- An X at the end of a text message represents a kiss.
- XOXO means hugs and kisses, while multiple Xs are a sign that someone really wants to smooch.
- While X can be used flirtatiously, X may simply be used in a warm, non-romantic way, too.
- In fringe scenarios, X can be used as a variable, as a stand-in for “ex,” or to indicate something is only for adults.
- 1 A single X at the end of a text message represents a kiss. The lone X at the end of the text message is a complimentary close, like “sincerely” or “with love.” If you’re talking to a family member or close friend, it’s like a kiss on the cheek. If this is a romantic partner or crush though, this could be their way of being a little flirtatious!
- You may also see people use XOXO instead of just X. The O represents a hug, so XOXO is just “hugs and kisses.”
- X is not a kiss off in the sense that it’s negative. There are only positive connotations here.
- 2 XX is a sweet, romantic gesture that indicates 2 kisses. If the person you’re talking to signs off a text with 2 Xs, the X still means “kiss” but the subtext here is a little more intimate. Basically, the other person is indicating that you’re important to them and they either really love you, or they really want to smooch.
- If someone uses a lot of XXs but they use them with everybody, it’s a big sign that they aren’t being flirty. They’re just naturally affectionate and friendly.
- 3 XXX represents 3 kisses, and there’s a heavy sexual undertone. The rare triple X is a serious sign that the other person wants to jump your bones. If you’ve been flirting back and forth for a while now, congratulations. You’re 100% in. If this is the first sign you’ve got that they’re into you, they may be testing the waters to see if you’re interested!
- Four Xs is basically the same thing as XXX but with a little less subtlety.
- If you get a XXX or XXXX+ late at night on the weekend, they’re probably trying to hook up right now!
- People in the UK put a friendly X at the end of all their texts. Europeans often kiss one another on the cheek when they greet one another or part ways. In British culture, it’s considered to be polite and customary to include an X at the end of texts with your friends, so don’t read too much into this.
- Multiple Xs still indicate flirting—even for folks in the UK. If a British guy or gal sends you XX or XXX, they probably have a crush on you!
- When used in a sentence, X is typically a variable. In math, a variable refers to a symbol that can represent any number. If someone uses X in the middle of a sentence, it’s likely a stand-in for any idea or amount (depending on how it’s used). People will often use X this way to illustrate an example.
- So, someone might say, “If you tell me X, I’m going to believe you.” Here, X stands in for “something you tell me.”
- A friend might message you, “You might spend X a month on groceries, but you still need to pay rent.” In this example, X is some amount of money.
- 1 XXX could refer to “adults only” or “X-rated.” An X-rated film or video game is meant only for adults who are 18 years of age or older. If a friend refers to something being “XXX,” they’re talking about it not being for children.
- Someone might say, “You trying to do something XXX tonight and hit the strip club?” or, “I wanted to watch that movie, but it’s XXX and my parents won’t let me.”
- If someone refers to “a bottle with XXX” on it, they’re talking about alcohol. In cartoons, bottles with XXX on them are always booze.
- 2 X could be short for “ex” boyfriend or girlfriend. If the person you’re texting has a tendency to shorten words and use “u” instead of “you” and things like that, they may be using “x” as in “ex-boyfriend” or “ex-girlfriend.” If the X is lowercase and you could replace it with “ex” without ruining the meaning of the sentence, they’re talking about an ex-partner.
- Someone might say, “I’m never getting back with my x. It’s over,” or, “Adam is my x now. We broke up last week.”
- 1 Throw an X at the end of a text to be very friendly or flirty. Who you’re talking to determines a lot when it comes to how an X will be interpreted. If you’re talking to your mom or cousin, throw an X at the end of a message as a way of saying, “I love you!” If you’re talking to a crush or flirting with a new friend, your X will be interpreted as a cute and playful kiss.
- If you want to be even more suggestive and flirtatious, you could put “XX” or “XXX” at the end of your text!
- 2 Use X as a variable to explain a complex scenario. If you’re talking to someone and you’re struggling to explain something, you can use X to refer to anything that might change. It could be a number, a time, an amount of money, or anything that would fit based on the context.
- For example, you might say, “A fruit salad might have X chunks of pineapple in it, and Y pieces of orange. X always has to be worth more than Y!”
- Alternatively, if a friend doesn’t understand how taxes work, you might explain, “Let’s say you make X. About 10% of X goes to the state, and around 15% of X will go to the federal government.”
- 1 Send an X back to return their friendly gesture. If a family member or good friend uses an X as a way of signing off a text message, reply to the content of their message and send an X back. This is basically the equivalent of saying “I love you, too” when someone says “I love you.” It’s just the friendly way to respond.
- If the convo has reached its natural conclusion, go ahead and send a sole “X” back without any other comments.
- 2 Flirt back if you like them and they’re being playful. If you’re talking to your crush and they drop an X or XO at the end of a message, it’s a sign that they’re into you. If you like them back, to keep the energy going. You might say:
- “You really do brighten up my day. I’m happy you’re in my life 😊”
- “You’re so sweet to me. A day without you is a day wasted.”
- “You know, if I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put U and I together.”
- 3 Ask for clarification if you’re confused by their use of X as a variable. If you don’t fully understand what someone is getting at with the way they use X, just ask for another example or a deeper explanation. It can be confusing when someone uses an example with a variable in it and there’s nothing wrong with asking for additional info.
- If you aren’t confused by their use of X, just reply to the body of their message the same way you normally would.
Ask a Question Advertisement This article was co-authored by wikiHow staff writer,, Eric McClure is an editing fellow at wikiHow where he has been editing, researching, and creating content since 2019. A former educator and poet, his work has appeared in Carcinogenic Poetry, Shot Glass Journal, Prairie Margins, and The Rusty Nail.
His digital chapbook, The Internet, was also published in TL;DR Magazine. He was the winner of the Paul Carroll award for outstanding achievement in creative writing in 2014, and he was a featured reader at the Poetry Foundation’s Open Door Reading Series in 2015. Eric holds a BA in English from the University of Illinois at Chicago, and an MEd in secondary education from DePaul University.
This article has been viewed 96,063 times.
- Co-authors: 4
- Updated: April 16, 2023
- Views: 96,063
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 96,063 times. : What Does X Mean when Texting? Explanation and Examples
What is the history of jugs?
Etymology – The word jug is first recorded in the late 15th century as jugge or jubbe, It is of unknown origin, but perhaps comes from jug a term for a maidservant, in the same period. This in turn comes from the alteration of common personal names such as Joan or Judith.
Is 14 drinks a week too much?
Men and women are advised not to drink more than 14 units a week on a regular basis. spread your drinking over 3 or more days if you regularly drink as much as 14 units a week. if you want to cut down, try to have several drink-free days each week.
What does 😘 mean from a girl?
What Does Face Throwing A Kiss Emoji 😘 Mean? or Face Blowing a Kiss emoji May 23, 2018 Smooch! Mwah! The winky-kissy face throwing a kiss emoji, or kissing face, is mostly used to express romantic affection or appreciation for someone or something. Approved in 2010 under Unicode 6.0, the face throwing a kiss emoji, as it’s officially called, is also commonly known as the face blowing a kiss, blowing a kiss, kiss wink face, kissing face, or just kiss emoji. Across platforms, the emoji is fairly uniform in appearance: a yellow smiley with one winking eye and puckered mouth with a heart coming out of it, symbolizing a kiss. Happy Birthday to us twin!!😘💕 @ayravillamin, May, 2018 It’s Friday!! Have a great weekend guys 😘😘😘 @AmandaBlackSA, May, 2018 i hope you love me, as much as i love you ❤😘 @_TheRealMKG, December, 2017 The face blowing a kiss emoji sees extensive use in text and instant messages to give a digital “kiss goodbye” or “kiss goodnight.” The object of the emoji’s affection can be, as the above text-grab shows, loved ones, but also family, friends, pets, our favorite things—even public figures.
- Remember that cheek kissing is a common greeting and parting in many cultures, especially in Europe, so the emoji isn’t just reserved for romantic love.
- Without a doubt the best thing of 2017 was to be next to this beautiful person, thanks for being part of my life.
- We will see that you have prepared us 2018 😍😘❤ — Brec Bassinger (@Brecbassiger) Chocolate lovers like.
😍😘🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫 — ǸÏĸÏ†ħ@:🌹(ǸÏඋħu)🍁👩 (@CpUnnimol) The emoji can be more flirtatious, playful, and complimentary, too, as if to say “You look gorgeous!” Killing with her Hottest, Cutest & Stylish Looks at the GQ Best Dressed 2017 😍🔥😘 📹 — Shrutizforever (@Shrutizforever) Throwing a kiss, in real life and in emoji form, can also signal gratitude: “Thank you! Thank you!” Very honored to be included in Best of 2017: Crime Reporting !! Thanks for the kind words 😘 — Melissa Jeltsen (@quasimado) The emoji can also express enthusiastic appreciation, much like the “Italian chef kiss” trope indicating something is perfect.
- Indeed, users sometimes pair face blowing a kiss emoji with the OK hand emoji to imitate the gesture.
- Her braid is *chef kiss* 😘👌 — 🦉✨lily ✨🦉 (@LilySketchPad) This is not meant to be a formal definition of 😘 Face Throwing a Kiss emoji like most terms we define on Dictionary.com, but is rather an informal word summary that hopefully touches upon the key aspects of the meaning and usage of 😘 Face Throwing a Kiss emoji that will help our users expand their word mastery.
: What Does Face Throwing A Kiss Emoji 😘 Mean?
Why do British people use X’s?
Why people add an x to their messages in Britain If you get emails, text messages and letters from British people, you’ll notice many people add an ‘x’ at the end – but why? The custom of having an ‘x’ at the end of a message started as a way to symbolise a kiss. It was used between lovers. However, these days it is more often used as a way of implying you are being friendly, not formal.
- This is especially important now that so much communication is written, rather than spoken.
- This means the ‘x’ is a bit like an emoji.
- It is normal to use it between friends or close work colleagues as a way to make the tone of any written message more friendly.
- One ‘x’ is common.
- For really good friends, you might boost the level of friendliness and use ‘xx’ or ‘xxx’ – especially if you want to show you are being sympathetic about something.
You might also sometimes see the letter ‘c’ at the end of a message – that is just someone typing the wrong letter by mistake! To show how the ‘x’ is used, here are two messages:
‘Thanks for the meal’: A text message like this can seem formal and cold to a British person. In fact, in some circumstances these words could even mean that the person was not happy about the meal (because of the British habit of ) ‘Thanks for the meal x’: The ‘x’ at the end symbolises that there is warmth and emotion – the other person will understand that you really enjoyed it.
Because the ‘x’ can be seen to symbolise a kiss or friendship, be careful using it on messages where it might seem like you are flirting or being too friendly with someone you don’t know. For this reasons, it is unusual to see the ‘x’ in business emails, unless people know each other well.
What does 3 kisses in a row mean?
There are kisses that can send you straight to heaven and others to hell. Some kisses are just better than others in that they mean different things. Marriage and family therapist Dr Callisto Adams breaks down 15 different kisses and what they mean. A kiss on your cheek is a leading road to something more if they are shy or a platonic way of saying goodbye if they are not romantically interested in you.
Kisses are such an important part of intimacy. Some kisses are just better than others in that they mean different things. There are kisses that can send you straight to heaven and others to hell. Others can make you feel wanted, loved and protected. It all depends on various factors really.
Happy Kiss Day! Marriage and family therapist Dr Callisto Adams breaks down 15 different kisses and what they mean.1. That sweet kiss on your forehead A forehead kiss is labelled as a romantic kiss and as a kiss that shows emotional closeness. It shows love and respect for you through a kiss on your forehead.
This kiss is to show how much you are appreciated and respected.2. Kisses on your cheek Suppose you have just started your relationship or have been dating for a while. In that case, a kiss on your cheek is a leading road to something more if the other person in shy or a platonic way of saying goodbye if they are not romantically interested in you.
If it’s a long kiss on the cheek, then take it as a sign they are trying to get out of the platonic phase with you. READ MORE | Women are more likely to identify as bisexual – can research into sexual arousal tell us why? 3. Constant kisses on your nose Generally, it means they want to tell you how happy they are to be by your side.
It is a sign of love and not a sign of lust.4. That gentle kiss If they kiss you slowly and with tenderness, their main goal is to make you feel comfortable and wanted. While kissing you gently, they want to tell you that you can feel secure and that they care about you.
One may say that this kiss is passionate too, and it’s true; it is uniquely passionate. READ MORE | Do we even need reasons to kiss? In case you do, here are 6 of them 5. They like tongue-kissing with you When it comes to this type of kiss, there’s something else called perfect timing to go along with it.
Usually, a French kiss or a French make-out session is a sign of lust. But French kisses are also a sign of closeness and passion. This person might just be head over heels for you! 6. They give you shoulder kisses It’s a way of showing that they care and they are there for you.
- It’s not something passionate or lustful.
- It’s more of a sign of respect and care.
- It’s their way of letting you know of their affection and maybe getting into something interesting later.7.
- Eyes are always closed when kissing Kissing with eyes open is slightly awkward and ingenuine at times.
- If someone kisses you with their eyes closed every time, then it means they are into it, feeling the kiss, and not faking it.
READ MORE | Why men prefer to sleep and not cuddle or kiss after sex – It’s not personal, it’s science 8. That long, passionate kiss A passionate kiss at the beginning of the relationship is not quite appropriate. So at that stage, you cannot tell much.
- If your partner gives you a long passionate kiss further down the line, this includes their emotional and physical elements to tell you that they are passionate about you.
- It is a bridge to get connected with you physically and emotionally.9.
- They make you feel like one of a kind with that Eskimo kissing Eskimo kisses are cute kisses.
They rub their nose against yours. Usually, they use it to get a kiss from you and tell you how happy they are to be with you. The Eskimo kiss allows them to express their affection for you and how comforting your presence is.10. Blows you an air kiss If they blow you an air kiss, then they are playful and want to attract your attention just to show that they are there for you.
- Playfulness is an important part of a relationship, and this sure is a romantic, beautiful gesture.11.
- They give you ‘Three kisses in a row ‘ Three kisses in a row is a new type of kiss that a person in love gives to the one they love.
- These kisses are short ones that come one after the other.
- If they give you these magical three kisses, one after the other, they want to make sure that you know that they love you.
It’s that type of kiss that makes you notice that your heart, mind, and soul are connected. Newsletter Weekly Lovebytes Live with love, live beautifully with our specially curated relationship, wedding and sex stories. Sign up 12. A kiss on the chin and then a quick kiss If they give you this type of kiss, they want to be playful and flirty with you.
They want to prepare you before kissing you on the lips. Usually, if they try this type of kiss with you when they want to tell you that they like or loves you. READ MORE | ‘My partner’s a bad kisser, how do I tell them?’ An expert gives tips on how to make kissing great 13. A “stolen” kiss It is just a simple kiss, but that has a unique meaning.
Stealing a kiss is the way to flirt with you and tell you how much you mean to them. Suddenly kissing you is a sign of passion. But ask yourself: what does the person mean to you, or who are they to you? 14. They gives you a kiss goodnight A goodnight kiss is a way of showing affection and care towards you.
If they kiss you on the first date, they might like you, but labelling that as ‘love’ at that stage is a little bit early. If they keep doing that for some time, they have caught some feelings and can’t let you go.15. They take your hands, get you close, and give you a kiss If your person follows this pattern: 1.
They take your hands; 2. Brings you close to them; 3. After that, give you a gentle kiss. If he behaves like this, they might just be ” your Prince Charming ” or the partner you have been waiting for. They care about the way they kiss you and treat you.
What is a triples drink?
Triple sec is an orange-flavored liqueur made from dried orange peels. You can drink it neat as an after-dinner treat, but it’s typically added to popular cocktails like a Long Island iced tea, Cosmo, Kamikaze and Sidecar. One of the most recognizable brands of triple sec is Cointreau.
What is 1.75 alcohol?
A handle of liquor is a 1.75 L bottle of liquor. That means it too has 39 1.5-ounce shots in it. Doesn’t matter if it’s a handle of vodka, a handle of rum, or a handle of whiskey. A handle of alcohol is a different name for a 1.75 L alcohol bottle.