WHAT ARE THE BEST THINGS TO MIX WITH MOONSHINE? – Invented during Prohibition, Tennessee moonshine has gone through many transformations over the past 100 years. This historic drink is made with corn, barley, and wheat, creating a powerful spirit similar to whiskey.
So, what’s the best way to serve moonshine? While you’re welcome to drink it straight, there are plenty of great mixers to add. In fact, people have been drinking mixed moonshine drinks since the 1920s. Cocktails have existed as far back as the 1860s, born from bartenders’ ingenuity and fondness for flair.
During Prohibition, mixers were often used to mask the taste of bootleg liquor, as illegal spirits weren’t made with flavor in mind. Today, cocktails and mixers are a way to enhance alcohol, and there are many fun recipes. If you want to try a Tennessee moonshine mixed drink, here are our top mixer suggestions.
- Grapefruit juice is a popular choice for cocktails, and moonshine drinks are no exception.
- This unique citrus has just the right amount of bitterness to complement this Tennessee liquor and enough brightness to cut through.
- What’s better on a hot day than a glass of iced tea? If you’re interested in delicious summer sips with just a hint of burn, you can add a shot or two of moonshine to your favorite iced tea.
Just keep in mind that with something this tasty, it’s easy to drink more than you intend, so try to keep the ratio to one part liquor, three parts tea. Folks who love Manhattens are sure to enjoy adding sweet vermouth to their moonshine. You can try a 50/50 ratio if you want a less sweet drink or stick to the traditional two parts moonshine to one-part sweet vermouth for a rich beverage.
If you love a good tart lemonade but want more of a kick, then you need to try moonshine lemonade. Like iced tea, it makes a great summer drink but balances sweetness with sourness. This mix makes a fantastic beverage for a casual get-together on a hot day. Are you a big fan of beer but want something a little stronger from time to time? Moonshine is the perfect addition to any light ale.
All you need is one shot to pump up the intensity of your favorite brew. If you like sweet citrus, orange juice is an excellent substitute for grapefruit. When added to moonshine, you get a bright, more vibrant beverage perfect for brunch. Whiskey and coke is a classic, and since moonshine has many of the same elements as whiskey, it’s a great substitute.
- 1 What do you serve moonshine with?
- 2 Can you mix moonshine with tonic water?
- 3 Is moonshine good with Sprite?
- 4 Can you mix moonshine with Coke?
- 5 How should you drink moonshine?
- 6 Should moonshine be refrigerated?
What do you serve moonshine with?
Common Moonshine Mixers – Here are the most common things people use to mix moonshine with. Feel free to get creative! Remember that moonshine is a whiskey, so anything that pairs well with whiskey will also pair well with moonshine. Coke If you like whiskey and coke, you’ll love moonshine and coke.
This classic combination can be a good starting point for the novice moonshine drinker. Ginger ale If you want to get more of the earthy taste of moonshine in your cocktail, try pairing it with ginger ale ( not ginger beer ). Sweet ginger ale can make moonshine go down smoother and is a good starting point for those new to drinking moonshine.
Grapefruit juice As one of the unsung heroes of mixers, grapefruit juice pairs nicely with moonshine, the earthy undertones of moonshine combined with a crisp and delicious grapefruit flavor make for a delightfully refreshing cocktail on a hot summer Tennessee afternoon.
Lemonade Go half-and-half with lemonade and moonshine, and add some ice to get a nice, cool beverage to enjoy at a cookout or your next family event. ( Psst: nobody has to know.) Sweet vermouth This is the perfect pairing for those who drink Manhattans because they love the taste of alcohol. You can use the classic two-to-one ratio of moonshine to vermouth or make it an even 50-50 split.
Add some ice to dilute the flavors, and throw in a maraschino cherry for good measure. Or, even better, use maraschino cherry-flavored moonshine to create a “Moonshine Manhattan.” Beer Liven up your lager by adding a shot of moonshine to the bottom of a pint glass.
What do you mix to make moonshine?
Step 1: Choosing Your Preferred Type of Mash – There are different types of moonshine mash you can choose from when trying to make a batch of this liquor at home. Basically there are three key ingredients: distillers yeast, granulated sugar and water.
Can you mix moonshine with tonic water?
Lime Moonshine Margarita – Use delicious Smith Creek Lime Moonshine to make a margarita! Course: Drinks Cuisine: Mexican Keyword: Drink, Margarita
1 lime 3 oz lemon-lime moonshine Tonic Water ice 2 T sugar
1. Zest your lime until you have 1T of lime zest. Combine the zest with 2T sugar in a shallow dish, pressing the zest and sugar together with the back of a spoon to release the fragrance and oils. Cut the Lime in half and cut a slice for garnish then juice half the lime into a glass or shaker Add the moonshine to the lime juice and set aside. Juice the other half of lime into a shallow dish. place a glass upside own in the lime juice make sure to get a good coating of juice around the rim and then dip it directly into the the lime zest & sugar mixture coating the rim heavily Turn the glass right side up and add ice to it Add the moonshine & lime juice mixture and fill to the top with the tonic water. Garnish with a lime slice
Does moonshine get you drunk?
Consuming Methanol In Moonshine – Upon first sip, the dangerous potential of methanol is undetectable. It will simply get people drunker. However, after it is metabolized, the methanol can have an extremely harmful effect in someone’s body.10 milliliters (ml) of methanol is all it takes to permanently damage the optic nerve and cause partial, if not complete, blindness.30 ml of methanol is lethal.
- For reference, and standard shot glass in the United States holds 40 ml.
- If less than 10 ml of methanol is consumed then the worst someone will experience is a hangover, (albeit, quite possibly the worst hangover of their life).
- However, if someone consumes 10 ml or more of methanol, even split up among drinks, that can be enough to cause permanent damage or kill them.
While there are processes today to discard the toxic alcohol that is visually indistinguishable from water, some illegal Moonshiners will add methanol back in to provide a stronger potency. Obviously, without regulation, there is no way to know if illicit alcohol contains methanol.
Is moonshine good with Sprite?
Raspberry Moonshine Mixed Drinks – Midnight Moon Raspberry Fizz Raspberry moonshine mixed drinks add a little color and tartness to your beverages. We recommend adding some bubble as well:
SpriteIced TeaCranberry & Orange JuiceLimoncello & Club Soda
Can you mix moonshine with Coke?
Instructions. In a large glass filled with ice combine the moonshine cherry juice, grenadine, and the coca-cola. Serve.
How should you drink moonshine?
Download Article Download Article Moonshine is a tasty whiskey drink that was first brewed during the prohibition era in the United States. Now, you can buy moonshine at most liquor stores in a variety of different flavors, and some people still make their own at home.
- 1 Combine moonshine and cola for a classic drink. Since moonshine is a form of whiskey, you can easily make one of the most popular and tasty alcoholic beverages. Add your preferred amount of ice to a tall glass. Then, pour 2 shots of moonshine and 12 oz (335 mL) of cola over the ice for a cool drink.
- Some moonshines have a cola taste to them due to the flavor of distilled corn, so this can make for an even sweeter drink.
- 2 Mix a can of light beer with a shot of moonshine for a boozy cocktail. Add 1 shot of moonshine into the bottom of a glass. Then, choose a lager or a light ale, and pour 12 oz (350 ML) of the beer into the glass. You can add ice for a cooler drink, or enjoy it without ice. Tip: Combine a lemon- or blueberry-flavored moonshine with any light beer for an extra refreshing, fizzy drink in the summer. Advertisement
- 3 Add ginger ale to moonshine to take some of the bitterness out of the alcohol. Put a shot of any flavor of moonshine into a highball glass with ice. Then, pour 12 oz (335 mL) of ginger ale into the glass over the ice. Taste the drink to see if it’s acceptable, and add more ginger ale until you reach a suitable taste.
- You should always use non-alcoholic ginger ale, rather than a ginger beer, if you want to make a weaker drink. The alcohol in ginger beer can actually make the moonshine taste stronger.
- 4 Make Tennessee-style iced tea with moonshine, iced tea, and lemonade. Mix together equal parts iced tea and lemonade to make an Arnold Palmer. Then, combine that with 1 part moonshine in a glass filled with ice. Be sure to stir the mixture thoroughly to ensure that it’s evenly combined.
- You can also add 2-3 mint leaves and a wedge of lemon as a garnish for this refreshing beverage.
- 1 Drink water after you drink moonshine to stay hydrated. Alcohol can make your body dehydrated, especially high-proof alcohol like moonshine. Drink water in between every alcoholic beverage, even if you drink whiskey often. When you finish your moonshine drink, have a full glass of water before having another.
- You can drink flavored water, like coconut water or a flavored sports drink, if you don’t like the taste of plain water.
Did You Know? In Thailand, traditional herbal moonshine is known as “ya dong.” Shots of ya dong are served with a small glass of water, a piece of fruit, and a few pickled olives.
- 2 Chase moonshine with a drink of pickle juice to relieve the burning. The alcohol taste of straight moonshine can leave your throat burning after just a small drink. Keep a glass of pickle juice nearby to counteract the burning by taking a drink of the juice after each drink of moonshine.
- This can be especially helpful if you never drink whiskey since the saltiness of the pickle juice neutralizes the burn of the alcohol.
- You can use any kind of pickle juice or brine that you have available.
- 3 Pour smaller drinks to avoid a nasty hangover. Depending on what kind of moonshine you’re drinking, it may contain trace amounts of chemicals that can be harmful if ingested in large quantities. Even in small quantities, they can cause terrible headaches and discomfort. To prevent this, make “half shots” of moonshine, or only take small sips from your glass to pace yourself.
- Keep in mind that illegally-distilled moonshine can contain very large amounts of methanol, which can cause blindness or even death if ingested.
Add New Question
- Question Can you drink moonshine straight? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer
- Question Do you drink moonshine warm or cold? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer Support wikiHow by unlocking this staff-researched answer. Either way—it depends on your preference and the type of drink. For example, you might drink straight moonshine at room temperature. Or, warm up some apple pie moonshine for a toasty, comforting drink on a cold fall or winter night. You can also drink it as a chilled cocktail with ginger ale or iced tea.
- Question Do you have to refrigerate moonshine? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer
Ask a Question 200 characters left Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Submit Advertisement
It’s easy to get drunk on moonshine quickly, since it’s so strong. Try to limit yourself to 1 drink per hour if you’re drinking moonshine.
Thanks for submitting a tip for review! Advertisement
Never drink moonshine from an uncertified distiller, since you can’t be sure what is in the alcohol.
Advertisement Article Summary X Moonshine is a whiskey drink that you can either drink straight with a chaser or make a mixed drink out of. If you want to drink it straight with a chaser, drink pickle juice after your shot of moonshine to relieve the burning sensation.
How do I flavor moonshine?
Frequently Asked Questions Flavored Spirit – ADDITIVES OR FLAVORING MOONSHINE It is possible to add many things to flavoring moonshine recipes to make them your own special blend. Refer to the individual recipes for specifics, however you can add fruit, vanilla bean, Fireball whiskey, rum, Whipped Cream Vodka and spices to enhance your moonshine.
- LESS SUGAR OR WHITE SUGAR SUBSTITUTE? If you find the recipe too sweet, you can add less sugar or if you prefer using a sugar replacement that is also acceptable as long as the replacement ratio is one to one.
- Really, even brown sugar can be utilized in these recipes if you prefer.
- The end result will still be amazing.
CAN THIS RECIPE BE DOUBLED OR HALVED? Indeed, you can adjust the quantities in the recipe cards accordingly to make the amount that you need for your guests or for gifts. A great high-quality gift. WHAT IS EVERCLEAR? Everclear is a neutral grain spirit, characterized by its clear, colorless quality with a very high concentration of ethyl alcohol.
How much alcohol is in moonshine?
Typically, moonshine has an ABV of 40%. However, the ABV of moonshine can be even higher, reaching levels of anywhere from 60%-80%! When it comes to alcohol levels in a spirit, the distilling process is the defining factor.
Is vodka just watered down moonshine?
Ingredients – Vodka is a distilled neutral grain spirit from potatoes, grains, grapes, and other fruits. Similar to other spirits, it passes germination. And then, manufacturers ferment the components before they proceed to distillation. The difference with moonshine is it’s from a mash of corn and grains.
Is moonshine bad for the Liver?
What Are the Side Effects of Moonshine? – Methanol contamination poses the biggest danger with moonshine. Unfortunately, people often produce moonshine illegally using all types of random equipment, like car parts. There is no quality control or formal testing, so while one batch of moonshine seems fine, the next could be deadly.
- It only takes 10 milliliters (ml) of methanol to damage the optic nerve permanently,
- This damage can lead to partial or complete blindness.
- Consider that you could die from drinking just 30 milliliters (ml) of methanol.
- For reference, a standard shot glass holds 40 milliliters (ml) of fluid.
- Moonshine is also connected with lead poisoning and arsenic poisoning,
Aside from the dangers of the contaminants that may be found within the moonshine, the high alcohol content of moonshine also poses risks, such as alcohol poisoning and liver disease. If someone drinks moonshine, the people around them must understand the signs of methanol poisoning and alcohol poisoning.
Should you drink moonshine warm or cold?
Moonshine is in a league of its own when it comes to versatility. Moonshine is in a league of its own when it comes to versatility. Depending on the drinker’s taste and prefer ences, moonshine can be easily modified to replace other spirits. Drink it straight, mixed, chilled, warm — the possibilities are endless. But did you know you can use moonshine for more than just drinking? Keep readin g to learn five surprising uses for moon shine that m ight come in handy in the future. Lighter fluid Sitting around a bonfire with good friends while sipping on a jar of moonshine sounds like the perfect way to spend a cool fall or winter night outdoors.
- As it turns out, moonshine is ideal for starting the bonfire, too.
- Moonshine is a highly flammable liquid that works well as a source of fuel.
- And, unlike toxic gasoline, moonshine is made with all-natural ingredients, so whether you’re starting a bonfire or lighting your charcoal grill, you won’t have to worry about consuming toxic chemicals.
Antifreeze Most spirits need exposure to a temperature of at least -150 degrees before they freeze. Considering that moonshine is among the highest-proof spirits, it can be used as an antifreeze substance for certain things like vehicle engines or generators.
- Opting for moonshine rather than actual antifreeze will work just as well, if not better.
- Unlike commercial antifreeze products, moonshine is entirely natural and won’t cause damage to the environment.
- Pain reliever For centuries, mothers have used moonshine to calm and soothe cranky or teething babies.
Full disclosure, we do not recommend the use of alcohol for anyone under the age of 21. However, scientific studies have shown that alcohol, especially moonshine, is a very effective painkiller for its high alcohol content. You’ve probably heard of people “drinking away their pain” — it seems as though there is some truth to that! Cleaner Moonshine can be used as a safe, all-natural cleaning agent.
Simply replace your chemical-based cleaner with moonshine and clean even the dirtiest surfaces, whether it’s the shower, kitchen counter or outdoor furniture. Even better, the high alcohol content will instantly kill 99% of germs and bacteria, leaving behind a fresh, clean surface. Antiseptic Whether you’re gearing up for a weekend deer hunt or planning a camping trip, be sure to pack a bottle of moonshine just in case you find yourself with a cut or scape while out in the great outdoors.
Moonshine contains a high enough alcohol content to kill off any bacteria that may get inside of a wound. Simply pour some moonshine on it to kill the germs and bandage it up. Then, just for good measure, drink a shot or two to help with the pain. Crystal Ridge Distillery is the only moonshine distiller in Hot Springs, Arkansas.
Should moonshine be refrigerated?
Typically moonshine doesn’t require refrigeration for storage. Storing your moonshine in the fridge will not damage it. Direct sunlight, heat and oxygen are going to be the biggest issues you will face. So you need to keep your bottle closed and in the dark if you can.
Is moonshine mixed or straight?
How is Moonshine Made? – Moonshine is an alcoholic drink that is typically made from corn, sugar, and water. The corn is mashed, and then the sugar and water are added. This mixture is then boiled. The alcohol content of moonshine can be as high as 95%, which is significantly higher than the alcohol content of most other types of liquor.
The first step in making moonshine is to cook the corn.
This can be done in a variety of ways, but the most common method is to use a still. A still is a device that is used to distill liquids. It consists of a pot that is heated on a stove and a tube that leads from the pot to a container that collects the distilled liquid.
The second step is to add sugar and water.
This mixture is then boiled. The boiling helps to extract the alcohol from the corn mash.
The third step is to collect the distilled liquid.
The distilled liquid is collected in a container that is known as a receiver. The receiver can be either a glass jar or a bottle.
The fourth step is to filter the moonshine.
The fourth step is to filter the moonshine. This can be filtered using a variety of methods, but the most common method is to use a filter bag. This will remove any sediment or other particles from the moonshine. You can also use a coffee filter or cheesecloth for this purpose.
The fifth step is to bottle the moonshine.
To bottle the moonshine, simply pour it into a Mason jar. You can also use other types of jars or bottles, but Mason jars are the most common. Make sure to leave some space at the top of the jar so that the moonshine can carbonate. If you want to make it look more professional, you can buy a bottle capper and caps from a store.
The sixth step is to age the moonshine.
To age the moonshine, you can store it in a barrel. This will give it a smooth, mellow flavor. You can also age it in a carboy or glass jug. If you do this, make sure to use an airtight seal to prevent the moonshine from oxidizing. Aging it will improve its flavor and color, and it will also help to remove any impurities.
The seventh step is to drink the moonshine.
The most popular way to drink it is to drink it straight, but there are other ways to consume it as well. Some people like to add it to their coffee or tea or mix it with other drinks. There are also recipes that call for moonshine to be used in place of other ingredients.