WHAT ARE THE BEST THINGS TO MIX WITH MOONSHINE? – Invented during Prohibition, Tennessee moonshine has gone through many transformations over the past 100 years. This historic drink is made with corn, barley, and wheat, creating a powerful spirit similar to whiskey.
- So, what’s the best way to serve moonshine? While you’re welcome to drink it straight, there are plenty of great mixers to add.
- In fact, people have been drinking mixed moonshine drinks since the 1920s.
- Cocktails have existed as far back as the 1860s, born from bartenders’ ingenuity and fondness for flair.
During Prohibition, mixers were often used to mask the taste of bootleg liquor, as illegal spirits weren’t made with flavor in mind. Today, cocktails and mixers are a way to enhance alcohol, and there are many fun recipes. If you want to try a Tennessee moonshine mixed drink, here are our top mixer suggestions.
- Grapefruit juice is a popular choice for cocktails, and moonshine drinks are no exception.
- This unique citrus has just the right amount of bitterness to complement this Tennessee liquor and enough brightness to cut through.
- What’s better on a hot day than a glass of iced tea? If you’re interested in delicious summer sips with just a hint of burn, you can add a shot or two of moonshine to your favorite iced tea.
Just keep in mind that with something this tasty, it’s easy to drink more than you intend, so try to keep the ratio to one part liquor, three parts tea. Folks who love Manhattens are sure to enjoy adding sweet vermouth to their moonshine. You can try a 50/50 ratio if you want a less sweet drink or stick to the traditional two parts moonshine to one-part sweet vermouth for a rich beverage.
- If you love a good tart lemonade but want more of a kick, then you need to try moonshine lemonade.
- Like iced tea, it makes a great summer drink but balances sweetness with sourness.
- This mix makes a fantastic beverage for a casual get-together on a hot day.
- Are you a big fan of beer but want something a little stronger from time to time? Moonshine is the perfect addition to any light ale.
All you need is one shot to pump up the intensity of your favorite brew. If you like sweet citrus, orange juice is an excellent substitute for grapefruit. When added to moonshine, you get a bright, more vibrant beverage perfect for brunch. Whiskey and coke is a classic, and since moonshine has many of the same elements as whiskey, it’s a great substitute.
How do you get more flavor in moonshine?
How Commercial Brewers Flavor Spirits – Commercially produced spirits are usually stored in wooden casks or to enhance the taste of the spirits. Some commercial brewers allow their products to sit for a minimum of one year where others may choose to age their products for many years which increase both the taste and price of the product.
- The type of wood you use for aging your spirits can also affect its taste.
- For instance, scotch whiskey is usually kept in sherry cask to combine the different flavors of sherry, sugars present in the wood as well as the distinct flavor of the whiskey.
- The resulting product is quite unique and more flavorful.
If you will take a look at commercial whiskey products, you will find that the age is about three to eight years and even twelve. You may also begin to wonder why your spirit soaked with oak chips to achieve aging takes only a few days instead of years.
- The answer greatly depends on the surface area of the oak wood chips that come in contact with a certain amount of spirit.
- Essentially, the surface area of the oak chips is greater than that of the barrel which makes the exchange of flavor more rapid.
- Using Fresh Wood Chips Is Ideal For Enhancing Taste New wood can age spirit more than old wood does.
It is recommended to use fresh wood chips rather than the old one because your spirit can have a woody taste if the chips are very old and this can negatively affect the flavor of your finished product Sweet Bourbon Essence Can Also Enhance Your Flavor To intensify the taste, even more, you can filter it in a muslin cloth and include the sweet bourbon essence into it.
- After this, you can proceed with bottling the product into 700g bottles which should be stored in a cool dark place for one month or more.
- With this, you can achieve bourbon that is smooth and mellow to drink.
- Avoid Using a Carbon Filter You must not filter it using a carbon filter to remove wood chips because it will only remove much of its flavor which makes you lose all your efforts.
Using a muslin or tea towel is highly recommended in this case so that you can retain all the flavors that you would like to keep. You may also try a coffee filter which may take slowly compared to muslin, but it is really quite effective too. Adding sugar can also adjust the taste of your moonshine To add final touches, you can add 5 teaspoons of caramelized raw or white sugar per liter of your spirit.
Does real moonshine have a taste?
What’s the Taste Like? – The bottles of moonshine somehow taste like 151 rum. If you’ve tasted this drink, you’ll get a burning sensation and a kick, which is similar to the taste of moonshine. Also, some explain that bottles of moonshine taste kind of earthy.
Aside from the rubbing alcohol taste, you should taste the slight sweetness and hints of corn flavor. Some testers report that bottles of moonshine taste like good grappa and have a flavor strictly of their own. Others claim to discern vanilla notes in the good moonshine. However, this is not a true moonshine flavor and was most likely added to make it more appealing to the modern palate.
Also Read: Moonshine vs Whiskey
Does real moonshine taste bad?
What Does Moonshine Taste Like? – They say it’s delicious and tastes like a breath of fresh air. While some say it has a taste similar to whiskey and rum 151. Typically, its flavor is stronger than other liquors, and a traditionally prepared moonshine may have an earthy taste. Have you tasted rum 151? If so, you can already guess the burning sensation of drinking moonshine.
- However, there are several manufacturers today, and each produces its own version of moonshine.
- As such, this alcoholic beverage can come in flavors like sweet, spicy, and fruity.
- Similarly, when you drink this alcohol, you can taste a hint of corn and white oak.
- While some say it has the flavor of vanilla or tastes like grappa and cider.
If you enjoy beverages with fruity flavors, you might enjoy drinking moonshine, but it may not suit your palate if you’re not a fan of such tastes. Besides its taste, moonshine has a mild odor and slightly smells like corn. Also, if you’re dealing with home-brewed moonshine, don’t drink it if the alcohol produces a pungent chemical smell, as it may be contaminated and can be toxic.
It may even make you feel nauseous. Though most people think that moonshine tastes like vodka as they’re both transparent and contain high levels of alcohol, that’s not the case. They’re two different drinks with varying tastes and are processed differently. Moreover, most people might not enjoy the intense taste of moonshine as it’s very alcoholic and will find an alternative option to make it more palatable.
So let’s find out how to drink it.
What is the correct way to drink moonshine?
Common Moonshine Mixers – Here are the most common things people use to mix moonshine with. Feel free to get creative! Remember that moonshine is a whiskey, so anything that pairs well with whiskey will also pair well with moonshine. Coke If you like whiskey and coke, you’ll love moonshine and coke.
This classic combination can be a good starting point for the novice moonshine drinker. Ginger ale If you want to get more of the earthy taste of moonshine in your cocktail, try pairing it with ginger ale ( not ginger beer ). Sweet ginger ale can make moonshine go down smoother and is a good starting point for those new to drinking moonshine.
Grapefruit juice As one of the unsung heroes of mixers, grapefruit juice pairs nicely with moonshine, the earthy undertones of moonshine combined with a crisp and delicious grapefruit flavor make for a delightfully refreshing cocktail on a hot summer Tennessee afternoon.
Lemonade Go half-and-half with lemonade and moonshine, and add some ice to get a nice, cool beverage to enjoy at a cookout or your next family event. ( Psst: nobody has to know.) Sweet vermouth This is the perfect pairing for those who drink Manhattans because they love the taste of alcohol. You can use the classic two-to-one ratio of moonshine to vermouth or make it an even 50-50 split.
Add some ice to dilute the flavors, and throw in a maraschino cherry for good measure. Or, even better, use maraschino cherry-flavored moonshine to create a “Moonshine Manhattan.” Beer Liven up your lager by adding a shot of moonshine to the bottom of a pint glass.
Do you drink or sip moonshine?
Download Article Download Article Moonshine is a tasty whiskey drink that was first brewed during the prohibition era in the United States. Now, you can buy moonshine at most liquor stores in a variety of different flavors, and some people still make their own at home.
- 1 Combine moonshine and cola for a classic drink. Since moonshine is a form of whiskey, you can easily make one of the most popular and tasty alcoholic beverages. Add your preferred amount of ice to a tall glass. Then, pour 2 shots of moonshine and 12 oz (335 mL) of cola over the ice for a cool drink.
- Some moonshines have a cola taste to them due to the flavor of distilled corn, so this can make for an even sweeter drink.
- 2 Mix a can of light beer with a shot of moonshine for a boozy cocktail. Add 1 shot of moonshine into the bottom of a glass. Then, choose a lager or a light ale, and pour 12 oz (350 ML) of the beer into the glass. You can add ice for a cooler drink, or enjoy it without ice. Tip: Combine a lemon- or blueberry-flavored moonshine with any light beer for an extra refreshing, fizzy drink in the summer. Advertisement
- 3 Add ginger ale to moonshine to take some of the bitterness out of the alcohol. Put a shot of any flavor of moonshine into a highball glass with ice. Then, pour 12 oz (335 mL) of ginger ale into the glass over the ice. Taste the drink to see if it’s acceptable, and add more ginger ale until you reach a suitable taste.
- You should always use non-alcoholic ginger ale, rather than a ginger beer, if you want to make a weaker drink. The alcohol in ginger beer can actually make the moonshine taste stronger.
- 4 Make Tennessee-style iced tea with moonshine, iced tea, and lemonade. Mix together equal parts iced tea and lemonade to make an Arnold Palmer. Then, combine that with 1 part moonshine in a glass filled with ice. Be sure to stir the mixture thoroughly to ensure that it’s evenly combined.
- You can also add 2-3 mint leaves and a wedge of lemon as a garnish for this refreshing beverage.
- 1 Drink water after you drink moonshine to stay hydrated. Alcohol can make your body dehydrated, especially high-proof alcohol like moonshine. Drink water in between every alcoholic beverage, even if you drink whiskey often. When you finish your moonshine drink, have a full glass of water before having another.
- You can drink flavored water, like coconut water or a flavored sports drink, if you don’t like the taste of plain water.
Did You Know? In Thailand, traditional herbal moonshine is known as “ya dong.” Shots of ya dong are served with a small glass of water, a piece of fruit, and a few pickled olives.
- 2 Chase moonshine with a drink of pickle juice to relieve the burning. The alcohol taste of straight moonshine can leave your throat burning after just a small drink. Keep a glass of pickle juice nearby to counteract the burning by taking a drink of the juice after each drink of moonshine.
- This can be especially helpful if you never drink whiskey since the saltiness of the pickle juice neutralizes the burn of the alcohol.
- You can use any kind of pickle juice or brine that you have available.
- 3 Pour smaller drinks to avoid a nasty hangover. Depending on what kind of moonshine you’re drinking, it may contain trace amounts of chemicals that can be harmful if ingested in large quantities. Even in small quantities, they can cause terrible headaches and discomfort. To prevent this, make “half shots” of moonshine, or only take small sips from your glass to pace yourself.
- Keep in mind that illegally-distilled moonshine can contain very large amounts of methanol, which can cause blindness or even death if ingested.
Add New Question
- Question Can you drink moonshine straight? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer
- Question Do you drink moonshine warm or cold? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer Support wikiHow by unlocking this staff-researched answer. Either way—it depends on your preference and the type of drink. For example, you might drink straight moonshine at room temperature. Or, warm up some apple pie moonshine for a toasty, comforting drink on a cold fall or winter night. You can also drink it as a chilled cocktail with ginger ale or iced tea.
- Question Do you have to refrigerate moonshine? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer
Ask a Question 200 characters left Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Submit Advertisement
It’s easy to get drunk on moonshine quickly, since it’s so strong. Try to limit yourself to 1 drink per hour if you’re drinking moonshine.
Thanks for submitting a tip for review! Advertisement
Never drink moonshine from an uncertified distiller, since you can’t be sure what is in the alcohol.
Advertisement Article Summary X Moonshine is a whiskey drink that you can either drink straight with a chaser or make a mixed drink out of. If you want to drink it straight with a chaser, drink pickle juice after your shot of moonshine to relieve the burning sensation.
Is moonshine better cold?
Drinking Moonshine Straight and as a Substitution – It’s that characteristic (if unexpected) smoothness that draws in first-time moonshine drinkers. “If you want to try the spirit just as it is and you’re drinking it straight, I always recommend pouring it over ice,” Elder says “In fact, I keep my bottles on ice when I do my tastings.” The pure, straightforward taste of unflavored moonshine makes it incredibly versatile when it comes to cocktails, especially as a substitute for other alcohols.
“It is comparable to vodka so the next time you’re going to do a vodka cranberry or vodka soda, try moonshine instead,” Elder suggests. Another of his favorites is to update the Bloody Mary by using 2 ounces of moonshine over 12 ounces of ice and Bloody Mary mix before straining it and topping it with more moonshine-soaked vegetables.
To easily make your own, Elder says, drain and save the liquid from a pickle jar, keeping the pickles in the jar, then fill the jar up halfway with moonshine before topping up with the pickle juice. For a kick, add a few dashes of hot sauce before closing, shaking, and letting sit in the refrigerator for a few hours to marinate. Credit: Ole Smoky Moonshine Historically, one of the most enticing aspects of crafting moonshine was its relative simplicity and speed to make, which remains largely true to this day. Since the liquor isn’t aged, batches can be turned around in a matter of days without the need for barrels and storage facilities (hence less chance of gaining the attention of the police and tax collectors).
How can I increase the taste of alcohol?
Whether you’re planning a party this weekend or you just want to make the most out of your evening tipple, it’s important that you make your alcohol as tasty as possible. To give you a helping hand, we’ve put together five ways you can make alcohol taste delicious.1.
- Add in some fruit If you’re sick of drinking the same drink, then consider mixing up your alcohol by adding in some fruit.
- Lemons and limes are great with ice as a finishing touch, but you should experiment with ingredients such as grapefruit, melons and apples to give your drink a unique flavour and texture.
A more convenient, and cost-effective, method of adding more fruit to your alcohol is to purchase fruit juice – orange, cranberry and grapefruit are popular options and mean that you can have one of your five-a-day while enjoying a drink! 2. Keep it chilled One of the best ways to improve the taste of your alcohol is to make it chilled. Whether you add ice cubes to your drink or invest in one of the bottle coolers offered at Corr Chilled, it’s easy to keep your drinks cold and fresh, regardless of the time of year. It’s easy to stick to traditional drinks recipes like tequila and soda water, so mix it up and turn your favourite drinks into cocktails. You could, for example, add in some orange juice and grenadine to create a tasty Tequila Sunrise cocktail, which is perfect for a hot summer’s day.
You can find a whole host of cocktail recipes online, or you can experiment with spirits, syrups and fruit juices to create a tasty concoction of your own.4. Make popsicles If you fancy a drink in the summer, then consider making booze-filled fruit smoothies, and freezing them with sticks. The result is alcoholic popsicles, which are tasty and cost-effective options for picnics, parties and family get-togethers.
Remember to keep your alcoholic popsicles away from children – consider making alcohol-free versions if you’re hosting a family party or want to get your kids involved in the popsicle making process.5. Filter it If you’re on a budget or you just have a bottle of cheap vodka lying around your home, then you can make it taste like a premium bottle in no time.