How much does it cost to make a batch of moonshine?
Using the information provided by our calculator we can determine the cost using an average cost of goods within the United States. – According to Macro Trends, the current cost of sugar is,20 per pound. We found this cracked corn for,21 per pound. This one pound pack of distiller’s yeast works out to about 96 teaspoons.
How much is a quart of homemade moonshine?
Home Distiller Little or nothing to do with distillation. Moderator: Novice Posts: Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:05 pm by » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:24 am Before I get flamed for this, I did search the forum and couldn’t find this discussed anywhere. If it’s there, I blame my searching skills, or lack thereof.
- Yes, I know that Moonshiners on The Discovery Channel isn’t realistic, that it’s controversial here, and I consider it to be entertainment only – NOT a guide to making liquor.
- Frankly, a lot of it just doesn’t make sense to me – hence this question.
- Here’s my long question: In the current season – season 9 – I hear the ‘moonshiners’ negotiating prices.
I’ve seen episodes where they wanted from $100 to $240 a gallon – and I just can’t fathom those prices. I mean, I thought the idea of for-profit moonshine was to illegally avoid taxes and regulation and thereby provide a cheaper product to the drinking public. Posts: Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:58 am Location: The Milky Way by » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am That’s make believe. But the rules of supply and demand just work. How hard is it in your area to get a mason jar full of (lord knows wtf) real backwoods moonshine? How many folks in your area want that ^^ ? Make it yourself.
It’ll be better. It’ll be more economical. Don’t sell don’t tell. Good luck! -jonny ———— i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred ———— Master of Distillation Posts: Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:46 am Location: Southern U.S. by » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:57 pm Several factors play in to the price of illegal moonshine.
Rarely, almost never, does it have to do with quality of the product! People are paying $25-$40 a quart for illegal booze, of no standard ABV or quality control. First there is the allure of it being “Outlaw.” Pure marketing magic that. So perfect that even legal distillers want to call their product Moonshine.
- Second it is being sold where/when legal booze is not available.
- By being in a dry county the price goes way up, and by selling to minors, the price goes way up.
- Then being able to buy it when Blue Laws are in effect, Sundays, after hours or in locations such as State Parks, lakes, the price goes way up.
Here’s the best con- moonshiners/bootleggers in my area aren’t making the stuff they sell. Buying EverClear at a liqour store and the like, watering it down, mixing it with your favorite flavor (fruit or spices) and reselling it as Moonshine. This is really no different than a legal distiller buying NGS or automotive grade ethanol and bottling it for sale.
- Like every other consumer product, people will fall for some really stupid advertising.
- These TV shows help drive the hype! Novice Posts: Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:05 pm by » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:46 pm Thanks for the replies, Jonny & DAD.
- I understand it a little better now! “All it takes is a little imagination, some mechanical ability, and neighbors who mind their own business.” – Red Green Admin Posts: Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am Location: occupied south by » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:27 pm rule j It is the hope of this forum to promote the legalization of hobby distilling here in the United States.
One of our goals is to prove that quality products can be created safely by the home distiller for personal use. Any discussion of selling, bartering or trading any distilled liquor unless by a licensed distillery will not tolerated. Such posts will be edited, deleted or locked, and the poster removed from this site.
How long does it take to make real moonshine?
How Quickly Can You Make Moonshine? – The quickest you can properly make moonshine is about two weeks. However, you really should let mash ferment for at least a week itself, so the best moonshine will usually take closer to a month to complete. Moonshine recipes all have their own timelines, so this may vary depending on what you want to make.
How much alcohol do you get from a 25 Litre wash?
A GUIDE TO STILLS AND DISTILLING Below we will cover the main pieces of equipment and ingredients used for distilling high quality, pure alcohol; and how to use them efficiently. Let’s get started! A compact, sleek stainless steel still for those who want a no fuss way of producing 1 L (1 US qt) of 40% ABV spirit at a time.
- Distils alcohol at 60% strength.
- Used with a small 10 L (2.6 US Gal) fermenter making this system easy to move and operate from any kitchen, boat or camper van.
- Difficulty – Basic Capacity – 4L (1 US Gal) Time – 7-10 Day Fermentation.
- Approx.2 hours distilling per 1L of 40% alcohol Yield – 2L (2 US qt) of 40% ABV alcohol per 8L (2.1 US Gal) wash Purity – Distils at 60% ABV (120 US proof) before being watered down to 40% (80 US proof) 1.
Wash – Make an 8 L (2.1 US Gal) wash by mixing water, sugar, carbon and yeast in the fermenter. Allow to sit andferment for 7-10 days.2. Distil – Put 4 L (1 US Gal) of the fermented wash into the Air Still and turn on.700 ml (23.6 US fl oz) of 60% ABV will be collected.3.
- Dilute and Filter – Dilute alcohol from 60% to 40% by adding 300 ml (10.1 US fl oz) of water.
- Filter the alcohol by using a carbon based filter.4.
- Flavour – Flavour your alcohol by adding your favourite Still Spirits spirit or liqueur flavouring.5.
- Repeat – Repeat with the second halfof your wash.
- Easy to operate, set up and use.
With no hoses or complicated assembly, the Air Still is extremely easy to use wherever and whenever you want to, whatever your experience.• Attractive, small compact design. Perfect for using as an every day appliance in your kitchen or home.• Uses no water when running.
- The Air Still is fitted with an efficient internal fan to cool the alcohol vapours and requires no cooling water.• Takes 2 hours to distil 1 L (1 US qt) of 40% ABV spirit from 4 L (1 US Gal) of wash.
- Flavour alcohol with a range of Still Spirits flavourings.
- The ultimate still in home distilling, the T500 is a must for anyone who wants to produce large quantities of extremely clean, pure alcohol.
The T500 allows you to collect an astonishing 95% of the possible alcohol from the wash and produces a purity of up to 93% making it the perfect base for flavouring into any spirit or liqueur you like. Difficulty – Intermediate Capacity – 25L (6.6 US Gal) Time – 3-10 Day Fermentation.
Approx 4.5 hours distilling time per 8L of 40% alcohol Yield – 8L (2.1 US Gal) of 40% per 25L (6.6 US Gal) wash. (Note: Calculation based on using the standard recipe of 6kg (13.2lb) of sugar) Purity – Distils at 93% ABV (186 US proof) alcohol before watered down to 40% (80 US proof) 1. Wash – Make a 25 L (6.6 US Gal) wash using sugar or Turbo Sugar and a Still Spirits Turbo Yeast.
Allow to ferment for 3-10 days (depending on yeast selected).2. Distil – Set up the T500, and connect to your water supply. Add wash to the boiler part of the T500 and turn still and water on. Fermented wash will heat up and reflux through the column while the running water will keep the still between 55-65°C (131-149°F).
Collect alcohol in an external vessel.3. Dilute and Filter – Dilute alcohol from 93 to 50% ABV by adding water before filtering through a carbon filter.4. Flavour – Dilute alcohol further to 40% ABV and flavour by adding your favourite Still Spirits spirit or liqueur flavouring. • Column available in either a 304 grade stainless steel construction or traditional copper.• Produces alcohol at 93% purity.• Takes as little as 4.5 hours to distil a 25 L (6.6 US Gal) wash to produce 8 L (2.1 US Gal) of spirit when watered down to 40% ABV.• Connects to the kitchen, laundry or garden tap and uses a constant flow of cold water while the still is running to maintain optimum temperatures and ensure the best quality spirit.
• Flavour with a range of Still Spirits flavourings. Designed for the artisan distiller. While the T500 is designed to strip all flavours from the wash, the Alembic Condenser and Dome Top combined with the Still Spirits Boiler form a pot still, designed to retain and enhance flavours in the wash.
- Perfect for when you are distilling whiskey, rum and brandy washes to make the spirit from traditional ingredients, just like the professionals.
- Difficulty – Advanced Capacity – 25L (6.6 US Gal) Time – 7-10 Day Fermentation Approx.5 hours distilling time to distil 25 L (6.6 US Gal) of fermented wash Yield – 3.5-7L (3.7-7.4 US qt) of 40% ABV per 25L (6.6 US Gal) wash Purity – Distils at 70% ABV (140 US proof) before being watered down to 40% (80 US proof) 1.
Wash – Make the wash using the traditional ingredients used to make the particular spirits you are wanting to distil.2. Stripping-run – Set up the pot still and do an initial run of the still.3. Spirit-run – Rerun the collected spirit through the alembic pot still and collect different fractions or “cuts” of the collected spirit at the stages according to the recipe.
- This is called the “spirit-run”.4.
- Mix – Mix the fractions together according to your recipe.5.
- Age – Age the spirit on oak chips or staves depending on spirits and recipe.
- Traditional copper dome top acts as a catalyst with the vapour in the still and helps enhance and concentrate flavours in the wash.• Fits onto the T500 Boiler.
Comes with a thermometer, tubing and tap adapter set.• Perfect for distilling traditional whiskeys, rum and brandy.• Can be used with Still Spirits Distillery Kits, which contain all the ingredients for the wash. • Takes approximately 3 hours to get about 7L (7.4 US qt) of 70% ABV spirit for a single distillation, and a further 2 hours for the second distillation.
The second distillation will yield approx 3.5L (3.7 US qt) at 40% ABV. For ultimate spirit quality! Specifically designed for use during fermentation, and is perfect to use with sugar as an alternative to Turbo Sugar where it is unavailable. It has a unique activated internal pore structure, which removes impurities not taken out by post distillation filtration.
It significantly improves the performance of all Turbo Yeasts. A complete range of yeast to suit your fermentation needs under a range of conditions for optimal spirit quality. Fast, clean and easy to use. The EZ Filter is the latest development in alcohol filtration.
- It uses a specially formulated solid activated carbon cartridge to remove unwanted flavours from distilled alcohol.
- So far so good Box badly damaged in transit but bag of wine concentrate ok.
- Just started so it’s wait and see time First class As ways fast delivery top class product.
- And most important customers service top class Great service Order arrived quickly very satisfied will definitely use company again First brew Just started my first home brew of wine, good job since govement has just put up duty again!.
The Hydrometer well made and once I had sterilised evething and followed the instructions for the wine kit, I placed the hydrometer into the wine solution and it was bang on where it should be. Well labeled/coloured. It’s fermenting away nicely so will check where it’s at in another 6 days time.👍 P.s if you new to this stick with the wine kits it make it almost fool proof.
- SG Chardonnay style I’ve made a fair few of the 30-bottle Beaverdale Chardonnay kits which produce excellent wine without fail.
- I bought some SG kits as they were on offer and was a little surprised by the small volume of grape must provided, compared to Beaverdale, and the 3kg sugar supplement.
- However the wine was ready in a week and cleared completely in less than 24 hours, which is something I’ve never seen before! Waiting for your wine to become crystal clear normally takes a couple of weeks or so with the other kit, so this was a nice surprise.
The bottom line is, Tracy says she prefers it and that’s the only thing that matters to me! : A GUIDE TO STILLS AND DISTILLING
How many shots are in a bottle of moonshine?
How Many Shots Are in a Bottle of Rum? – Although rum bottles can come in a variety of sizes, a typical bottle holds 750ml of drink, or about 25.4 fluid ounces. According to the 1.5 fluid ounce industry standard, a bottle of rum contains roughly 16.9 shots. The precise number of shots in a bottle of rum, however, might vary depending on the size of the shot glass and the type of booze being poured, as was already established. To ensure that you are pouring the proper amount, it is best to carefully measure out your shots.
How much proof is real moonshine?
What is the Proof of Moonshine? – Moonshine has a minimum alcohol content of 150 proof (75 percent ABV) and the maximum alcohol content is 190 proof (95 percent ABV). In this way it is very similar to Everclear and the same warnings should be considered in regard to its consumption.