Distilleries in Gatlinburg | Moonshine & Distillery Tours Moonshine distilling harkens back to the days when the bootleg spirits were concocted deep in the shadows of the mountains. With the legalization of moonshine, the veil of mystery has lifted. Today, you can tour and taste the of the mountains at any one of the four distilleries in Gatlinburg.
- 0.1 How long does a jar of moonshine last?
- 1 Why is Gatlinburg so popular?
- 2 What state has the most moonshine?
Is Gatlinburg known for moonshine?
Complete your Smoky Mountain getaway with a taste of the famous Smoky Mountain moonshine! The distilleries here draw in millions of visitors every year with tastings of their signature and seasonal shine. The City of Gatlinburg has asked all distilleries to begin charging a fee of $5.00 per person to sample spirits.
How much is moonshine tasting in Gatlinburg?
How Much Does it Cost? – The first thing you need to know about visiting the distilleries is it does cost $5 to do the tastings in Gatlinburg. In 2016, the city of Gatlinburg requested that the distilleries charge a $5 tasting fee to “maintain Gatlinburg as a family friendly vacation destination.” While you do have to pay to sample moonshine, every distiller will allow the tasting fee to go towards a purchase in their gift shops.
Is moonshine tasting free in Gatlinburg?
Moonshine Tastings in Gatlinburg – Although there are several distilleries in Gatlinburg, each one has a similar tasting experience. If you are over 21 years old, you can walk into the distillery of your choice and let them know that you want to do a moonshine tasting. It is important to note that a few years ago, the city of Gatlinburg passed a policy stating that patrons must pay a $5 tasting fee for moonshine.
- All of the distilleries uphold this policy, and every distillery has the fee go towards a purchase in their shop.
- The leader of the tasting will set guests up with their tasting glasses and share information about the flavors, how the moonshine is made, quirks about the company, and more.
- No matter which distillery you visit, you’ll have a blast with an entertaining tasting leader.
Each distillery has signature flavors, and you’ll be able to taste somewhere between 10 and 13 flavors. After the tasting, you can stick around to ask more questions about what you’ve tasted or recommendations for what to purchase.
How long does a jar of moonshine last?
Does Moonshine Go Bad? We’ve all been in a situation when we discover a bottle of wine stashed away in the kitchen cabinets and question if it is safe to consume. Fortunately, there isn’t a general time limit when this bottle is moonshine.
- Moonshines are claimed to last for years when not opened; however, it is advised to be aware of when not to consume the beverage for safety and quality.
- Here are some things alcohol enthusiasts need to know about the lifespan of moonshine, whether it spoils, and how to identify whether it’s unsafe to consume.
- Its Shelf Life
Moonshine, like other alcoholic beverages, may be kept on the shelf unopened for an infinite period — it is distilled until no sugars are left. Traditional moonshine is good as long as the distillation process is complete and no sugar is present. Nevertheless, keep in mind that not all moonshines are made equally.
Moonshine does not need to be refrigerated and has a long shelf life due to its high alcohol content. However, it would be best if you consumed it as soon as possible within the year of manufacturing. After that, the moonshine’s flavor will start to degrade. It is preferable to consume any unsealed bottles of moonshine right away.
Moonshine has a longer shelf life than other simple spirits, lasting up to six months after opening. However, once a bottle of moonshine is opened, the shelf life is only 2-3 years. Does Moonshine with Fruit Go Bad? Moonshine that contains fruits does not go bad.
- However, flavored moonshine has a shorter shelf life due to the addition of sugars, which are present in fruit-infused beverages, making it not in its purest form.
- Nevertheless, there are several moonshine recipes available that cocktail enthusiasts like.
- It’s better to drink flavored moonshine with fruit bits or additional sweeteners during the first two to three months of purchase.
The quality of the moonshine may deteriorate beyond that point.
- Signs That Indicate Bad Moonshine
- Do you have any doubts about whether your moonshine has gone bad? Here are some obvious warning signs to be on the lookout for:
- Weird Color
One aspect to pay attention to is the color of your beverage. If the moonshine seems to have an unusual color or texture, don’t drink it. If you’re still unsure, perform the spoon test by putting some moonshine on a spoon and lighting it on fire. A blue flame indicates that the alcohol is safe to consume, while a red or yellow flame indicates that the alcohol contains lead and should not be consumed.
- Foul Taste
- If the container is sealed and kept in a secure location (assuming that the manufacturer properly distilled the moonshine), it won’t hurt you to take a sip to evaluate the flavor.
- Although technically safe to drink, moonshine that “goes bad” will have an unpleasant taste.
- Alcohol Evaporation
When a bottle of moonshine is opened and then closed again, the alcohol evaporates slowly from air exposure. This process is long and might not be obvious immediately, but it will become self-evident after a few years. If the alcohol is kept in a warm environment, the process can be accelerated.
If the alcohol content is lower, the spirit will taste weaker and not be as potent overall, but that shouldn’t be your main concern when it comes to aging and flavoring moonshine. Oxidation The term “oxidation” describes the chemical process that alters the alcohol’s atomic structure and is aided by exposure to air.
Oxidation causes flavored beverages to spoil and lose their flavor like fruit-infused moonshine. If moonshine is stored incorrectly, it will lose its alcohol potency, taste bad, and be unfit for consumption. What Happens When You Drink Bad Moonshine People will only become drunker if they consume bad moonshine.
- However, consuming large amounts of spoiled moonshine exposes one to methanol, which can be very dangerous to one’s health once metabolized.
- One of two things can happen when methanol is found in a bad batch of moonshine, either it can harm your optic nerve, leaving you permanently blind, or it can cause death.
For this reason, you should immediately seek medical attention if you drink bad moonshine. What about moonshine in the heat? Does Moonshine Go Bad in the Heat? Although moonshine doesn’t spoil like other foods and beverages in the heat, it can still be affected.
- This is mainly due to chemistry, as the chemical components contained within the strong distilled spirits change over time when exposed to light and warmth.
- This can lead to a difference in flavor, without diluting or decreasing the alcohol content.
- As such, proper storage of your moonshine is key; if you’d like to enjoy it at its original taste, then you’ll want to make sure that the temperature doesn’t get too hot and that your moonshine is stored away from direct sunlight and humidity.
Generally speaking, however, pure moonshine will remain unaffected by consistent heat if kept properly sealed in a container devoid of air. Since bacteria need air to grow they won’t be able to contaminate the product with their presence; meaning as long as you don’t open your bottle of shine it’s highly unlikely for it to go bad before you decide to drink it.
By following these simple steps of storing your moonshine correctly, there should be nothing standing between you and a happy evening sipping pearly white liquor under the stars! Can I freeze moonshine? Does Moonshine Freeze? It is possible to freeze moonshine. Bottles of moonshine can freeze at a temperature of -235 °F, which is lower than the temperature of a regular freezer.
Moonshine typically has an alcohol content of approximately 40%, necessitating a frigid environment to allow it to freeze completely. Does Moonshine Have to be Refrigerated? Moonshine is an especially strong spirit, traditionally made from corn mash or other grains and sugar.
These spirits don’t necessarily need to be refrigerated, although it can help extend the shelf life of a flavored version that has already been opened. Refrigeration helps slow down the oxidation process and reduce the risk of sugars spoiling too quickly. Of course, most people will want to save refrigerator space for their more essential food items.
Unopened flavored moonshines can still last many years without the need for refrigeration. For this reason, a fridge is only truly necessary if you’ve already opened your drink; otherwise, traditional storage methods are perfectly adequate. In any case, making sure your moonshine is stored in dark cool conditions – whether that’s in the refrigerator or not – is always a good idea to ensure its quality remains as best as possible over time.
How To Store Moonshine So It Lasts Properly storing moonshine is a critical step to ensuring its quality and flavor. To keep it in its best state, store it in a cold, dark place away from direct sunlight. Light and heat can diminish the flavor of the liquor. Specific storage containers should also be used, such as tiny bottles or glass vessels so as to reduce air exposure that could lead to oxidation: a process where oxygen reduces the atomic makeup of alcohol.
While traditional moonshine was stored in wooden barrels for long-term storage, modern manufacturers are using glass jars when commercially selling the product. However, it is important to note that flavored moonshines may be more prone to bacterial growth compared to standard moonshine due to their absence of additives and sugar concentration levels.
- As such, these products should be consumed much sooner than unflavored versions.
- Taking all steps for proper storage of moonshine will help ensure that it retains its distinctive characteristics and flavor for years after it has been stored safely.
- Eep Your Moonshine Stock Fresh – Buy Tennessee Shine Co That’s all there is to it — as long as you’ve stored your bottle of genuine moonshine properly and purchased it from a reputable seller, its shelf life is unbounded.
If you’re an enthusiast living in Pigeon Forge, Wears Valley, Sevierville, or Gatlinburg and likes to keep an ample supply of your preferred alcoholic beverage on hand, look no further than Tennessee Shine Co. Our company offers several moonshine varieties, boasting sophisticated flavors linked to recipes handed down through generations.
Why is Gatlinburg so popular?
What Made Gatlinburg Famous? – Gatlinburg tourism really took off when the Great Smoky Mountains National Park opened in 1940. However, as tourism boomed through the 1950s, ‘60s, and 70s, the focus shifted off the mountains and toward attractions. Gatlinburg became a tourist attraction because it’s easy to get to, offers endless opportunities for recreation, and its own unique Appalachian culture.
Gatlinburg is home to a wide variety of unique things to do. All sorts of creative entrepreneurs brought business and attractions to Gatlinburg in attempts to cash in on the early tourism goldmine. Some of these businesses still stand today. For example, The Historic Gatlinburg Inn was established in 1937 and still offers great amenities to guests today.
But what truly made Gatlinburg famous? The attractions, Many attractions have come and gone from Gatlinburg over the years. Some of the best, and maybe even most outlandish, Gatlinburg attractions have been lost to time. Let’s take a nostalgic look back at some of the original attractions that gave Gatlinburg tourism a head start.
What state has the most moonshine?
Moonshine in North Carolina –
Call Family moonshines Moonshine running car Copper Barrel moonshines
The story of North Carolina moonshine is mostly centered around Wilkes County, which was called the moonshine capital of the world by federal revenue officers. Some might debate that title, but you can’t deny that the mountains of North Carolina are steeped in illegal liquor history.
- Some have carried over into the modern age.
- Call Family Distillers is a one such, led by “The Uncatchable” Willie Call.
- In fact, a relative teamed up with Jack Daniel in the 1800s but later sold his stake in the company.
- Nearby Copper Barrel Distillery uses local North Carolina products and bottles their unique moonshine in custom made milk bottles.
Piedmont Distillers Inc was formed in 2005 as the state’s first legal distillery. Their most well-known product is Midnight Moon, produced by Nascar legend Junior Johnson. And in Asheville, Asheville Distilling Company, also known as Troy and Sons, creates their “true American moonshine” with the finest products available.
Why are there no liquor stores in Pigeon Forge?
Alcohol Sales in Pigeon Forge and surrounding cities – Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and Gatlinburg are all located in Sevier County, TN. Sevier County is technically a dry county, though it includes a city option for the sale and service of liquor and/or beer with regard to state law.
- Sevierville restaurants may serve liquor by the drink and beer sales.
- Sevierville offers no package liquor sales.
- Pigeon Forge restaurants may serve liquor by the drink and beer sales.
- In Pigeon Forge you may also purchase beer with alcohol content of 6.2% in restaurants at most major rest stops, gas stations, and grocers.
Pigeon Forge offers no package liquor sales. You must travel to Gatlinburg proper to purchase package liquor. The nearest liquor store to Pigeon Forge and Sevierville is the Gatlinburg Package Store. They are located just as you enter the city at 132 Parkway, before traffic light 1, the second building on the left.
Can you drink tap water in Gatlinburg?
The treatment plant uses a conventional treatment and filtration process to produce safe quality drinking water. The Gatlinburg Water Treatment Plant draws surface water from the West Prong of the Little Pigeon River. We also purchase treated water from the Pigeon Forge Water System.
How much is moonshine tasting at Ole Smoky?
Are children allowed on site? Yes, children are welcome at all distillery locations. However, in order to participate in the Guided Tour, all guests must be 13+. Are dogs allowed on premise? Yes, dogs are allowed inside the building at our locations in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.
- For our Nashville location, pets are only allowed in the outdoor area.
- Pets are not allowed to join the Guided Tour at the Holler or 6th and Peabody.
- How many bottles of moonshine/whiskey can I fly with? Please check the TSA guidelines and confirm directly with your airline.
- They are never allowed in carry-on bags, however.
How much does a tasting cost? How many samples do you get for the money? Tastings at our Sevier County locations are $5, and you receive a $5 off coupon towards your purchase and a variety of flavor samples. At our Nashville location, tastings are $10.
The tasting includes a $10 coupon towards your purchase, various flavor samples and a Yee-Haw beer. Do you take paper ID’s? We accept paper IDs if they are within 30 days of their issue date, a supervisor will double check any paper ID. Is there parking at your locations? While our locations do not offer parking exclusively for our distilleries, there is convenient public parking nearby.
Do we have to schedule a time to do a tasting? No. Just come in to visit with us and step up to a tasting bar with space available and our friendly shine-slingers will help you out How do I sign up for the guided tours of the distillery? Guided distillery tours are now available at The Holler in Gatlinburg and 6th and Peabody in Nashville.
- Click here to Book A Tour.
- Can I still buy moonshine and whiskey on Sundays? Is it illegal to drive over state lines with the moonshine/whiskey? What is your return policy? If you have questions about a return or exchange, please email us at [email protected] with your name, phone number, and order/receipt number.
Do you ship your moonshine and whiskey? We are not able to ship our products directly to consumers due to federal laws. However, we do distribute to all 50 states. Some states are eligible to order via our online partner, Reserve Bar. How can I find out what liquor stores carry your product? Visit our Find-A-Jar page to find moonshine and whiskey flavors in your area.
Be sure to call retail locations to check availability. How would I find out who my local distributor is so I can order your product? Visit your local liquor store and let them know that you would like to have Ole Smoky available near you. They can reach out to their distributors for availability. What is the price of the jars at your retail location? The majority of our moonshine and whiskey flavors are priced at $26.95 plus tax, with the exception of our fruits (Cherries, Peaches, Pickles, Pineapples) which are $29.95 plus tax, Blue Flame which is $36.95 plus tax, Blended whiskey which is $36.95 plus tax, and James Ownby Reserve which is $54.95 plus tax.
Do you have any deals on the moonshine/whiskey if I were to buy multiple? We do! However, promotional items are subject to availability. Stop by to see what deals we’re running! Are your locations wheelchair accessible? Yes, all locations are wheelchair accessible.