Approximately six months If your moonshine has not been opened it can be stored in the fridge or freezer for approximately two years. However if your moonshine has been opened and stored in the fridge then it safely lasts for approximately six months, it will generally last longer if you store moonshine in the fridge after opening.
Does moonshine go bad over time?
Does Moonshine Go Bad? We’ve all been in a situation when we discover a bottle of wine stashed away in the kitchen cabinets and question if it is safe to consume. Fortunately, there isn’t a general time limit when this bottle is moonshine.
- Moonshines are claimed to last for years when not opened; however, it is advised to be aware of when not to consume the beverage for safety and quality.
- Here are some things alcohol enthusiasts need to know about the lifespan of moonshine, whether it spoils, and how to identify whether it’s unsafe to consume.
- Its Shelf Life
Moonshine, like other alcoholic beverages, may be kept on the shelf unopened for an infinite period — it is distilled until no sugars are left. Traditional moonshine is good as long as the distillation process is complete and no sugar is present. Nevertheless, keep in mind that not all moonshines are made equally.
Moonshine does not need to be refrigerated and has a long shelf life due to its high alcohol content. However, it would be best if you consumed it as soon as possible within the year of manufacturing. After that, the moonshine’s flavor will start to degrade. It is preferable to consume any unsealed bottles of moonshine right away.
Moonshine has a longer shelf life than other simple spirits, lasting up to six months after opening. However, once a bottle of moonshine is opened, the shelf life is only 2-3 years. Does Moonshine with Fruit Go Bad? Moonshine that contains fruits does not go bad.
- However, flavored moonshine has a shorter shelf life due to the addition of sugars, which are present in fruit-infused beverages, making it not in its purest form.
- Nevertheless, there are several moonshine recipes available that cocktail enthusiasts like.
- It’s better to drink flavored moonshine with fruit bits or additional sweeteners during the first two to three months of purchase.
The quality of the moonshine may deteriorate beyond that point.
- Signs That Indicate Bad Moonshine
- Do you have any doubts about whether your moonshine has gone bad? Here are some obvious warning signs to be on the lookout for:
- Weird Color
One aspect to pay attention to is the color of your beverage. If the moonshine seems to have an unusual color or texture, don’t drink it. If you’re still unsure, perform the spoon test by putting some moonshine on a spoon and lighting it on fire. A blue flame indicates that the alcohol is safe to consume, while a red or yellow flame indicates that the alcohol contains lead and should not be consumed.
- Foul Taste
- If the container is sealed and kept in a secure location (assuming that the manufacturer properly distilled the moonshine), it won’t hurt you to take a sip to evaluate the flavor.
- Although technically safe to drink, moonshine that “goes bad” will have an unpleasant taste.
- Alcohol Evaporation
When a bottle of moonshine is opened and then closed again, the alcohol evaporates slowly from air exposure. This process is long and might not be obvious immediately, but it will become self-evident after a few years. If the alcohol is kept in a warm environment, the process can be accelerated.
If the alcohol content is lower, the spirit will taste weaker and not be as potent overall, but that shouldn’t be your main concern when it comes to aging and flavoring moonshine. Oxidation The term “oxidation” describes the chemical process that alters the alcohol’s atomic structure and is aided by exposure to air.
Oxidation causes flavored beverages to spoil and lose their flavor like fruit-infused moonshine. If moonshine is stored incorrectly, it will lose its alcohol potency, taste bad, and be unfit for consumption. What Happens When You Drink Bad Moonshine People will only become drunker if they consume bad moonshine.
However, consuming large amounts of spoiled moonshine exposes one to methanol, which can be very dangerous to one’s health once metabolized. One of two things can happen when methanol is found in a bad batch of moonshine, either it can harm your optic nerve, leaving you permanently blind, or it can cause death.
For this reason, you should immediately seek medical attention if you drink bad moonshine. What about moonshine in the heat? Does Moonshine Go Bad in the Heat? Although moonshine doesn’t spoil like other foods and beverages in the heat, it can still be affected.
- This is mainly due to chemistry, as the chemical components contained within the strong distilled spirits change over time when exposed to light and warmth.
- This can lead to a difference in flavor, without diluting or decreasing the alcohol content.
- As such, proper storage of your moonshine is key; if you’d like to enjoy it at its original taste, then you’ll want to make sure that the temperature doesn’t get too hot and that your moonshine is stored away from direct sunlight and humidity.
Generally speaking, however, pure moonshine will remain unaffected by consistent heat if kept properly sealed in a container devoid of air. Since bacteria need air to grow they won’t be able to contaminate the product with their presence; meaning as long as you don’t open your bottle of shine it’s highly unlikely for it to go bad before you decide to drink it.
- By following these simple steps of storing your moonshine correctly, there should be nothing standing between you and a happy evening sipping pearly white liquor under the stars! Can I freeze moonshine? Does Moonshine Freeze? It is possible to freeze moonshine.
- Bottles of moonshine can freeze at a temperature of -235 °F, which is lower than the temperature of a regular freezer.
Moonshine typically has an alcohol content of approximately 40%, necessitating a frigid environment to allow it to freeze completely. Does Moonshine Have to be Refrigerated? Moonshine is an especially strong spirit, traditionally made from corn mash or other grains and sugar.
These spirits don’t necessarily need to be refrigerated, although it can help extend the shelf life of a flavored version that has already been opened. Refrigeration helps slow down the oxidation process and reduce the risk of sugars spoiling too quickly. Of course, most people will want to save refrigerator space for their more essential food items.
Unopened flavored moonshines can still last many years without the need for refrigeration. For this reason, a fridge is only truly necessary if you’ve already opened your drink; otherwise, traditional storage methods are perfectly adequate. In any case, making sure your moonshine is stored in dark cool conditions – whether that’s in the refrigerator or not – is always a good idea to ensure its quality remains as best as possible over time.
How To Store Moonshine So It Lasts Properly storing moonshine is a critical step to ensuring its quality and flavor. To keep it in its best state, store it in a cold, dark place away from direct sunlight. Light and heat can diminish the flavor of the liquor. Specific storage containers should also be used, such as tiny bottles or glass vessels so as to reduce air exposure that could lead to oxidation: a process where oxygen reduces the atomic makeup of alcohol.
While traditional moonshine was stored in wooden barrels for long-term storage, modern manufacturers are using glass jars when commercially selling the product. However, it is important to note that flavored moonshines may be more prone to bacterial growth compared to standard moonshine due to their absence of additives and sugar concentration levels.
- As such, these products should be consumed much sooner than unflavored versions.
- Taking all steps for proper storage of moonshine will help ensure that it retains its distinctive characteristics and flavor for years after it has been stored safely.
- Eep Your Moonshine Stock Fresh – Buy Tennessee Shine Co That’s all there is to it — as long as you’ve stored your bottle of genuine moonshine properly and purchased it from a reputable seller, its shelf life is unbounded.
If you’re an enthusiast living in Pigeon Forge, Wears Valley, Sevierville, or Gatlinburg and likes to keep an ample supply of your preferred alcoholic beverage on hand, look no further than Tennessee Shine Co. Our company offers several moonshine varieties, boasting sophisticated flavors linked to recipes handed down through generations.
How long does opened moonshine last in the fridge?
Does Moonshine Need to be Refrigerated? How to Store Moonshine After Opening The smooth taste of the infamous moonshine liquor is deliciously mouthwatering. But unless you want to enjoy your entire batch of moonshine right away, you will need to store it properly to enjoy later.
But you may be wondering if ‘moonshine can spoil or ruin.’ Fortunately, your moonshine will not go bad if you store it properly. So how do you store moonshine properly? Types of Moonshine: Plain and Flavored Moonshine The clear, unaged whiskey can either be plain or flavored. These two main types have slight differences in content; thus, you can store them for the same amount of time.
Standard or plain moonshine has no extra sugars and flavor additives. Therefore, it is shelf-stable and can last longer than flavored moonshine. The added flavor and extra sugars in flavored moonshine make it more sensitive to expire once exposed to air.
- But whether your moonshine is plain or has flavors and extra sugars, it can still last for several years, provided you store it properly.
- Should you refrigerate moonshine You don’t have to refrigerate your moonshine, but you must keep it at a temperature-controlled location.
- Room temperatures can allow the decomposition of heavier oils and alcohols and the mellowing of the flavor over time.
However, you should not store your moonshine at room temperatures if you live in areas with sharp temperature changes. Harsh temperatures can ruin its flavor. So, you can store the beverage in a freezer or fridge. You don’t have to worry about freezing since the high-alcohol content prevents freezing unless temperatures drop to,
- What is Moonshine? Glass vs.
- Plastic Containers If you want your moonshine to last, you should store it in a glass container.
- Although plastic containers are cheaper, they have several disadvantages, such as accidentally melting when placed near a heat source.
- Today’s plastic containers are substantial, and moonshine won’t burn through the material, but an open flame or heat source will.
Besides, plastic containers can introduce a vinyl-like flavor and aroma to your moonshine. Glass containers remain the best option for moonshine storage in the long term. Your favorite beverage will retain its pure flavor, and there won’t be even the slightest change in taste after storing for months or years.
- The glass options include spirit bottles, glass liquor bottles, or moonshine bottles.
- A glass bottle manufactured specifically for moonshine is best, but practically any glass container with a sealable top is okay.
- You can even use a Mason jar.
- Storing Plain Moonshine It would be best if you did not expose your moonshine to direct sunlight.
Even when you are using a glass container, direct sunlight is still harmful as it can cook the contents of your beverage and cause it to spoil faster. Generally, exposing your moonshine to the sun for a long time has a similar impact to storing it at high temperatures, which speeds up the oxidation process.
Ensure you keep your moonshine in a cool, dark, and dry environment where there is little-to-no sun exposure. Keeping your container air-tight is among the most crucial parts of storing your moonshine. Contact with oxygen can start the, whereby the chemical composition of the alcohol begins to change.
Oxidation will change your moonshine’s flavor and make it less smooth. If your moonshine’s taste changes due to oxidation, that does not necessarily mean that it has gone bad. But you probably want to maintain the flavor for as long as possible and, therefore, should keep your moonshine storage containers air-tight.
Storing Flavored Moonshine Storing opened flavored moonshine in the refrigerator prolongs its shelf life. The refrigerator temperatures slow down when the sugars and added flavors go bad. Unopened flavored moonshine can last for years, un-refrigerated and away from sunlight. Like plain moonshine, flavored moonshine is best enjoyed while stored in a glass bottle.
However, once opened, flavored moonshine only lasts 3-6 months in the refrigerator. Buy Moonshine Online We have looked at how important it’s to store your moonshine properly and ways you can do it. However, there’s another important thing—purchasing moonshine from a reputable manufacturer.
You should find a manufacturer who distills, seals, and proofs the beverage using the highest industry standards. At, we are known for manufacturing premium moonshine in the country. You can find your favorite beverage in our four locations, including Pigeon Forge, Wears Valley, Sevierville, and Gatlinburg.
Now, you can also buy our premium moonshine online!, and we’ll fix your moonshine cravings in the comfort of your home. Image: on Shutterstock : Does Moonshine Need to be Refrigerated? How to Store Moonshine After Opening
How do you store moonshine after opening?
Refrigeration – Refrigerating your moonshine is not necessary. This is particularly true for, which has no sugar, so there’s nothing to spoil in the literal sense of the word. Even after opening, you can simply tightly reseal the bottle and put it back in its dark and cool place.
You shouldn’t leave it there for too long, though. The beverage is best to drink within a few months to prevent it from changing its taste. However, not all moonshine is pure. Sometimes, people add fruit to it, particularly if it’s commercial moonshine. Adding fruit to your moonshine makes it taste better but also adds sugar from the fruit, making it more prone to spoiling.
Since fruit moonshine has a shorter shelf life and is more likely to spoil, it is not a bad idea to put it in your refrigerator once you’ve opened it. This will extend its shelf life a bit and allow you to enjoy it a bit longer. Additionally, refrigerating moonshine can make it go down smoother.
Is it OK to refrigerate moonshine?
What’s the Best Way to Store Moonshine? – Store it in sealed glass bottles in a dark location away from direct sunlight. Glass keeps the flavor authentic while preventing spoilage. If you want to store the moonshine for a long time, refrigerate it.