Does Moonshine Need to be Refrigerated? How to Store Moonshine After Opening The smooth taste of the infamous moonshine liquor is deliciously mouthwatering. But unless you want to enjoy your entire batch of moonshine right away, you will need to store it properly to enjoy later.
But you may be wondering if ‘moonshine can spoil or ruin.’ Fortunately, your moonshine will not go bad if you store it properly. So how do you store moonshine properly? Types of Moonshine: Plain and Flavored Moonshine The clear, unaged whiskey can either be plain or flavored. These two main types have slight differences in content; thus, you can store them for the same amount of time.
Standard or plain moonshine has no extra sugars and flavor additives. Therefore, it is shelf-stable and can last longer than flavored moonshine. The added flavor and extra sugars in flavored moonshine make it more sensitive to expire once exposed to air.
But whether your moonshine is plain or has flavors and extra sugars, it can still last for several years, provided you store it properly. Should you refrigerate moonshine You don’t have to refrigerate your moonshine, but you must keep it at a temperature-controlled location. Room temperatures can allow the decomposition of heavier oils and alcohols and the mellowing of the flavor over time.
However, you should not store your moonshine at room temperatures if you live in areas with sharp temperature changes. Harsh temperatures can ruin its flavor. So, you can store the beverage in a freezer or fridge. You don’t have to worry about freezing since the high-alcohol content prevents freezing unless temperatures drop to,
- What is Moonshine? Glass vs.
- Plastic Containers If you want your moonshine to last, you should store it in a glass container.
- Although plastic containers are cheaper, they have several disadvantages, such as accidentally melting when placed near a heat source.
- Today’s plastic containers are substantial, and moonshine won’t burn through the material, but an open flame or heat source will.
Besides, plastic containers can introduce a vinyl-like flavor and aroma to your moonshine. Glass containers remain the best option for moonshine storage in the long term. Your favorite beverage will retain its pure flavor, and there won’t be even the slightest change in taste after storing for months or years.
The glass options include spirit bottles, glass liquor bottles, or moonshine bottles. A glass bottle manufactured specifically for moonshine is best, but practically any glass container with a sealable top is okay. You can even use a Mason jar. Storing Plain Moonshine It would be best if you did not expose your moonshine to direct sunlight.
Even when you are using a glass container, direct sunlight is still harmful as it can cook the contents of your beverage and cause it to spoil faster. Generally, exposing your moonshine to the sun for a long time has a similar impact to storing it at high temperatures, which speeds up the oxidation process.
- Ensure you keep your moonshine in a cool, dark, and dry environment where there is little-to-no sun exposure.
- Eeping your container air-tight is among the most crucial parts of storing your moonshine.
- Contact with oxygen can start the, whereby the chemical composition of the alcohol begins to change.
Oxidation will change your moonshine’s flavor and make it less smooth. If your moonshine’s taste changes due to oxidation, that does not necessarily mean that it has gone bad. But you probably want to maintain the flavor for as long as possible and, therefore, should keep your moonshine storage containers air-tight.
Storing Flavored Moonshine Storing opened flavored moonshine in the refrigerator prolongs its shelf life. The refrigerator temperatures slow down when the sugars and added flavors go bad. Unopened flavored moonshine can last for years, un-refrigerated and away from sunlight. Like plain moonshine, flavored moonshine is best enjoyed while stored in a glass bottle.
However, once opened, flavored moonshine only lasts 3-6 months in the refrigerator. Buy Moonshine Online We have looked at how important it’s to store your moonshine properly and ways you can do it. However, there’s another important thing—purchasing moonshine from a reputable manufacturer.
You should find a manufacturer who distills, seals, and proofs the beverage using the highest industry standards. At, we are known for manufacturing premium moonshine in the country. You can find your favorite beverage in our four locations, including Pigeon Forge, Wears Valley, Sevierville, and Gatlinburg.
Now, you can also buy our premium moonshine online!, and we’ll fix your moonshine cravings in the comfort of your home. Image: on Shutterstock : Does Moonshine Need to be Refrigerated? How to Store Moonshine After Opening
Does moonshine go bad in the fridge?
If your moonshine has not been opened it can be stored in the fridge or freezer for approximately two years. However if your moonshine has been opened and stored in the fridge then it safely lasts for approximately six months, it will generally last longer if you store moonshine in the fridge after opening.
Does alcohol in the fridge go bad?
Beer and Wine – stockstudioX // Getty Images “Beer will go flat and stale, and wine will begin turning to vinegar after they’re opened, but both will remain safe,” said Caporale. If unopened and refrigerated, he said beer can last several years, although this can depend on style and ABV.
- Once opened, he recommends using unfinished beer for cooking.
- From beer cheese and beer bread to beer-battered fish and grilled beer brats, you never have to worry about wasting flat beer.
- Wine, contrary to popular portrayals, can’t always be relied on to improve with age,” said Caporale.
- When properly sealed, wine can last for about two to three years— reds a little longer than white wine,
“Again, contrary to popular belief, screw caps are your friend here, as they form a very reliable seal, while natural corks are much more likely to fail and let the wine react with air,” he said. He recommends re-corking (or vacuum sealing), refrigerating, and consuming opened wine within 24 hours. Associate SEO Editor Allison Arnold is the Associate SEO Editor at Delish, where she writes about kitchen gadgets and food and culture. She likes exercising almost as much as eating, and has a thorough Google Maps ranking system for her favorite restaurants and bars. You can find her spewing hot takes on the food world and planning her next trip, all with multiple cans of seltzer open at a time.
How long does alcohol last in fridge?
Liquor – Liquor is considered shelf-stable. This category includes gin, vodka, whiskey, tequila, and rum. These are typically made from a range of grains or plants. Their base, also called mash, is fermented with yeast before being distilled. Some liquors are distilled several times for a smoother taste.
- The resulting liquid may then be aged in casks or barrels of various woods for added complexity.
- Once the manufacturer bottles the liquor, it stops aging.
- After opening, it should be consumed within 6–8 months for peak taste, according to industry experts ( 3 ).
- However, you may not notice a change in taste for up to a year — especially if you have a less discerning palate ( 3 ).
Liquor should be stored in a dark, cool place — or even a freezer, though this isn’t necessary. Keep the bottles upright to prevent the liquid from touching the cap, which may cause corrosion that affects flavor and quality. Proper storage helps prevent evaporation and oxidation, thereby extending shelf life.
Are you supposed to chill moonshine?
Download Article Download Article Moonshine is a tasty whiskey drink that was first brewed during the prohibition era in the United States. Now, you can buy moonshine at most liquor stores in a variety of different flavors, and some people still make their own at home.
- 1 Combine moonshine and cola for a classic drink. Since moonshine is a form of whiskey, you can easily make one of the most popular and tasty alcoholic beverages. Add your preferred amount of ice to a tall glass. Then, pour 2 shots of moonshine and 12 oz (335 mL) of cola over the ice for a cool drink.
- Some moonshines have a cola taste to them due to the flavor of distilled corn, so this can make for an even sweeter drink.
- 2 Mix a can of light beer with a shot of moonshine for a boozy cocktail. Add 1 shot of moonshine into the bottom of a glass. Then, choose a lager or a light ale, and pour 12 oz (350 ML) of the beer into the glass. You can add ice for a cooler drink, or enjoy it without ice. Tip: Combine a lemon- or blueberry-flavored moonshine with any light beer for an extra refreshing, fizzy drink in the summer. Advertisement
- 3 Add ginger ale to moonshine to take some of the bitterness out of the alcohol. Put a shot of any flavor of moonshine into a highball glass with ice. Then, pour 12 oz (335 mL) of ginger ale into the glass over the ice. Taste the drink to see if it’s acceptable, and add more ginger ale until you reach a suitable taste.
- You should always use non-alcoholic ginger ale, rather than a ginger beer, if you want to make a weaker drink. The alcohol in ginger beer can actually make the moonshine taste stronger.
- 4 Make Tennessee-style iced tea with moonshine, iced tea, and lemonade. Mix together equal parts iced tea and lemonade to make an Arnold Palmer. Then, combine that with 1 part moonshine in a glass filled with ice. Be sure to stir the mixture thoroughly to ensure that it’s evenly combined.
- You can also add 2-3 mint leaves and a wedge of lemon as a garnish for this refreshing beverage.
- 1 Drink water after you drink moonshine to stay hydrated. Alcohol can make your body dehydrated, especially high-proof alcohol like moonshine. Drink water in between every alcoholic beverage, even if you drink whiskey often. When you finish your moonshine drink, have a full glass of water before having another.
- You can drink flavored water, like coconut water or a flavored sports drink, if you don’t like the taste of plain water.
Did You Know? In Thailand, traditional herbal moonshine is known as “ya dong.” Shots of ya dong are served with a small glass of water, a piece of fruit, and a few pickled olives.
- 2 Chase moonshine with a drink of pickle juice to relieve the burning. The alcohol taste of straight moonshine can leave your throat burning after just a small drink. Keep a glass of pickle juice nearby to counteract the burning by taking a drink of the juice after each drink of moonshine.
- This can be especially helpful if you never drink whiskey since the saltiness of the pickle juice neutralizes the burn of the alcohol.
- You can use any kind of pickle juice or brine that you have available.
- 3 Pour smaller drinks to avoid a nasty hangover. Depending on what kind of moonshine you’re drinking, it may contain trace amounts of chemicals that can be harmful if ingested in large quantities. Even in small quantities, they can cause terrible headaches and discomfort. To prevent this, make “half shots” of moonshine, or only take small sips from your glass to pace yourself.
- Keep in mind that illegally-distilled moonshine can contain very large amounts of methanol, which can cause blindness or even death if ingested.
Add New Question
- Question Can you drink moonshine straight? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer
- Question Do you drink moonshine warm or cold? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer Support wikiHow by unlocking this staff-researched answer. Either way—it depends on your preference and the type of drink. For example, you might drink straight moonshine at room temperature. Or, warm up some apple pie moonshine for a toasty, comforting drink on a cold fall or winter night. You can also drink it as a chilled cocktail with ginger ale or iced tea.
- Question Do you have to refrigerate moonshine? This answer was written by one of our trained team of researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow Staff Editor Staff Answer
Ask a Question 200 characters left Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Submit Advertisement
It’s easy to get drunk on moonshine quickly, since it’s so strong. Try to limit yourself to 1 drink per hour if you’re drinking moonshine.
Thanks for submitting a tip for review! Advertisement
Never drink moonshine from an uncertified distiller, since you can’t be sure what is in the alcohol.
Advertisement Article Summary X Moonshine is a whiskey drink that you can either drink straight with a chaser or make a mixed drink out of. If you want to drink it straight with a chaser, drink pickle juice after your shot of moonshine to relieve the burning sensation.
Is moonshine good chilled?
60 Proof or lower should go in the fridge. If it is sweet, I’ll just drink it lukewarm, especially with apple pie.80 Proof to 140 Proof should go in the freezer.191 Proof should be chilled with dry ice before consuming.